Types of information, our obligations and timeframes
We process requests for information in accordance with the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 and the Privacy Act 1993. These aim to balance issues of transparency and public interest with limits on the disclosure of personal information.
In most cases we can process your request on the spot. When we are unable to process your request immediately, We’ll let you know whether or not we can grant your official information request within 20 working days of your enquiry.
The actual information requested may be provided outside that time frame. If your request is more urgent, please talk to us about it.
What sorts of official information can we provide?
The principle of the Act is that information should be made available unless there are good reasons for withholding it. Council is entitled to consider not releasing information if it would:
- Prejudice the maintenance of the law
- Endanger the safety of any person
- Breach the privacy of any person
- Disclose confidential or commercially sensitive information
- Cause serious offence to Tikanga Māori
- Disclose the location of Waahi Tapu
- Breach an obligation of confidence
- Prejudice: public health or safety
- Prejudice Council’s right to legal professional privilege
- Prejudice the commercial activities of Council
- Prejudice negotiations being carried out by Council.
Making a request for official information
Requests for information may be written or verbal. Council may ask for more particulars if the request for information is not sufficiently specific. Please contact us to make your request.
Fees and charges
If you’re seeking access to information about yourself, this is covered by the Privacy Act 1993 free of charge.
For all other requests for information, under the Local Government Official Information Act, the following charges apply.
If the combined amount of staff time spent on a request exceeds one hour (excluding land information memoranda), charges will be:
|Charge per additional half hour (or up to half an hour), including search, retrieval, provision of information and supervision:
All charges will need to be paid before you receive the information you have requested. All charges incurred will be fixed so to recover the actual costs involved, including:
- Photocopying – the first 20 pages are free; every A4 page thereafter will be charged at $0.20
- Producing a document by computer or similar equipment
- Reproducing a photograph, film, video or audio recording
- Viewing or hearing a visual or audio recording
- Providing a copy of any map, plan or other document larger than A4
- Retrieval of information offsite or any situation where a direct charge is incurred in providing the information
A charge may be modified or waived at the discretion of a general manager if payment might cause financial hardship, or where the information serves to facilitate good relations with the public or assist public organisations in their work.