About the heritage centre
Our local and family history collections have over 15,000 items for all residents and local visitors to browse. They provide a record of all aspects of life and society and the natural and human environments of Lower Hutt.
What can I find in the heritage centre’s collection?
Our collection is often used by school and tertiary students, as well as historical and genealogical researchers.
- historical newspaper collections, photographs, historical maps, plans and charts
- community newsletters, local history and Hutt publications
- local directories, telephone books and electoral rolls
- local government reports and plans
- local school magazines
- genealogy resources
- cemetery and burial records.
At the War Memorial library and some of our other libraries you can also find:
- current copies of newspapers
- local directories
- telephone books
- electoral rolls
- local government reports and plans.
Eastbourne, Petone and Wainuiomata libraries hold small local history collections.
Burial plot locations
For burial plot location enquiries, try our online cemeteries search. If you're unable to find the details you need, get in touch with us.
Location and opening hours
We’re open to everyone. To find out more and explore these unique resources, come along to the heritage centre, Petone Library, Britannia Street.
When is the heritage centre open?
- Monday to Friday from 10am until 5.30pm
- Saturday and Sunday from 10am – 5pm.
For enquiries, call one of our team on 04 568 6253 or email email@example.com.