Join the library online
- Simply agree to the conditions of membership, accept them, and complete our online registration form.
- Once you’ve joined online you can reserve library items and access our online collections.
- You’ll need to visit one of our libraries to pick up your library card. When you visit us, you’ll need to bring the following:
- Personal identification (driver’s licence or similar)
- Proof of your current address (recent bill sent to you)
- A parent or guardian if you are younger than 16
- Once you've got your library card, you can borrow items from all 8 Lower Hutt libraries.
Joining if you live outside Lower Hutt
If you live outside Lower Hutt, memberships cost:
- $120 per year
- $60 for six months, or
- $2 per item borrowed.
Borrowing and charges
Look up fees and charges for borrowing from our libraries.
You can return your items to any Lower Hutt library. Make sure you bring books and resources back before the due date to avoid overdue charges!
All our libraries have after-hours return slots. If you return an item after hours, we consider it to have been returned the next working day.
Overdue items incur daily charges, with a maximum overdue charge of $10.00 per item. We'll send you reminder notices.
If your late fees charges reach $10.00 or more, you'll need to pay them before you can keep borrowing more items. You’ll also need to pay for any loss or damage to our library materials.
You can renew any item twice if no one else has requested it. If a loan charge applies, you can pay this the next time you visit a library.
You can reserve any item (except for Hot Picks) at no cost; we’ll let you know when it’s ready to be collected. We’ll hold your item for five days.
If we don’t have what you’re after, we can make requests to a range of public and academic libraries. Just ask our librarians for help or use the catalogue to see which libraries have the items you need.
Use the online request form to place your interlibrary loan request. You’ll need to enter your library card number and PIN. Charges may apply for some requests.
Suggest a purchase
Want an item we don’t have? You can suggest new items for us to purchase by using the online request form. You’ll need to enter your borrower ID and PIN.
With over 166 computers on offer, Connect offers fast internet – the world at your fingertips!
- Search and browse thousands of online encyclopaedias, newspapers and magazines and online databases
- Browse 150 websites through the library catalogue
- Search the library and check your card
For just $2 an hour (available as $1, $2, $5 or $10 vouchers):
- Send emails
- Create and print a CV
- Facebook your mates
- Create a budget spreadsheet
- Flickr your photos online
- Research your family history
- Create invitations or photos
- Create and watch videos
- Create and listen to music
- Build a website
We even have handy gear on sale to help you get started, like earbuds, flash drives and starter packs.