The Street Art Mentoring Programme is a great opportunity for local rangatahi (youth) to work with professional street artists from TMD Crew - New Zealand's most internationally recognised street art collective.
You'll get to experience first-hand what it takes to have a career as a street artist.
Three of TMD Crew's founding members Charles and Janine Williams and Askew One (Elliot O'Donnel) talk about the challenges of growing up on the streets and the many people that have made a difference in their lives.
The support they received from these people helped them move into careers as international street artists. The Street Art Mentor Programme has come about as a response to this idea of support and encouragement.
The programme will run in two streams:
- Askew One will lead one stream and workshop for 5-6 rangatahi.
- Charles and Janine Williams will lead the other stream and two workshops for the second group of 5-6 rangatahi.
TMD Crew are celebrating their 25th anniversary in 2021 with a major exhibition project at the Dowse Art Museum.
During programme participants will work on 1-2 mural projects, with the goal of continuing on to help with the exhibition project in 2021.
Who is this programme for?
To apply for this programme you need to:
- show an interest in pursuing a career in the arts (particularly street art)
- live in Lower Hutt
- be 14-18 years old when you apply
- be available and committed to taking part in the full 1 year programme.
How to apply
- Fill out the Street Art Mentoring Application form:
PDF (407.8 KB) or Word (407.8 KB)
- Show us you're passionate about the arts by writing about it or through pictures of your work.
- Send the application form and examples to Pippa Sanderson, Community Arts Advisor either by:
- Email: email@example.com
- In person: at the front desk of The Dowse Art Museum, 45 Laings Road
Pippa Sanderson, Community Arts Advisor
Hutt City Council
PO Box 30 396
Lower Hutt 5040
Applications close on Friday 28 February 2020.
Once you've applied
A panel of local community members and The Dowse team will review all applications and let you know if you have been accepted into the programme.
For more information
For more information see the Street Art Mentor Programme Outline (PDF 626.8 KB)