Avalon Park is a six hectare park located between the western side of the suburb of Avalon and the Hutt River, owned and managed by Hutt City Council.
It has a great range of features, including the Avalon Park Playground, which opened in 2016. One of the most extensive and modern playgrounds in New Zealand, it's a great destination for families from around the region.
Finding Avalon Park
Take the Avalon turnoff when driving from State Highway 2, over the Kennedy Good Bridge. Avalon Park also connects with the Hutt River Trail shared path.
- The 110 bus from Queensgate and Upper Hutt stops at the Taita Drive entrance
- The 150 bus from Petone station and Kelson stops at the Fairway Drive entrance
You'll find dedicated parking along the access driveways from Taita Drive and Fairway Drive.
Avalon Park Playground
Avalon Park Playground is open every day and is free.
It's aimed at preschoolers to 12-year-olds and designed to appeal to families.
It has a mix of contemporary and traditional play equipment within a specially-designed landscape.
The under-fives area is not fenced off, but is designed to encourage toddlers to stay within the area. There are places for parents and caregivers to sit and watch their children play, as well as space to park pushchairs.
South of the under-fives area, the playground equipment and landscape gradually becomes more interesting for older children.
- Some of the play equipment is designed to be enjoyed by both able-bodied children and children with a disability.
- There is seating, picnic tables and, at the north end, a shaded canopy and deck area. Trees will give more shade over time as they grow.
- Toilets, open from dawn to dusk, are located in the Avalon Pavilion on the east side of the playground.
- The under-fives area at the north end of the playground includes slides, sandpits and an artificial stream featuring a variety of water play equipment.
- You'll find more adventurous play equipment for older children at the centre and south end of the playground. It includes The Helix and Red Spaceball climbing frames, the Super Mega Swing, a bird’s nest swing, the Amazon Tower slide, tunnels, climbing walls and a twin flying fox.
- No dogs are allowed in the playground. Dogs on leashes are able to enjoy the northern third of Avalon Park – the area north of the junior cycle track.
The artificial stream offers a variety of wet play. On hot days children can still splash about and get wet if they wish. For a splash pad visit Lower Hutt’s McKenzie Baths.
Other facilities at Avalon Park
- Beginners’ cycle circuit with various intersections and surfaces
- Lions Club model train (charge applies)
- Lions Club mini putt golf with ice cream and drink sales (charges apply)
- Public toilets
- Free electric barbecues, picnic tables and seating
- Model marine boating pond - used by the Model Marine Boat Club
- Public tennis court and Avalon Tennis Club
- Open lawn areas
- Links to the Hutt River Trail
- Historical information panel
- The “Smiling Windmills” sculptures
- Skate Park near Fairway Drive
- Free Pétanque Piste
- Controlled dog walking allowed north of playground
Avalon Park is undergoing redevelopment. The playground project is now complete. Stage three of the project is due to be completed in 2018. It will include creating a new main entrance on Fairway Drive, replacing the bridge and enhancing the model boating pond edge.
Avalon Pavilion Hire
The Avalon Pavilion is managed by the Avalon Pavilion Trust. You can contact them direct at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make a booking
Get in touch with us to make a booking regarding sites and all other facilities.
T: 04 570 6666