Motutawa Avalon Park is a six hectare park located between the western side of the suburb of Avalon and the Hutt River, owned and managed by Hutt City Council.
It has a great range of features, including the Motutawa Avalon Park Playground, which opened in 2016. One of the most extensive and modern playgrounds in New Zealand, it's a great destination for families from around the region.
Motutawa Avalon Park is smokefree, along with many of our other public spaces. Please don't smoke in any area of the park.
Finding Motutawa Avalon Park
Take the Avalon turnoff when driving from State Highway 2, over the Kennedy Good Bridge. Motutawa Avalon Park also connects with the Hutt River Trail shared path.
- The 110 bus from Queensgate and Upper Hutt stops at the Taita Drive entrance
- The 150 bus from Petone station and Kelson stops at the Fairway Drive entrance
You'll find dedicated parking along the access driveways from Taita Drive and Fairway Drive.
Motutawa Avalon Park Playground
Motutawa Avalon Park Playground is open every day and is free.
It's aimed at preschoolers to 12-year-olds and designed to appeal to families.
It has a mix of contemporary and traditional play equipment within a specially-designed landscape.
The under-fives area is not fenced off, but is designed to encourage toddlers to stay within the area. There are places for parents and caregivers to sit and watch their children play, as well as space to park pushchairs.
South of the under-fives area, the playground equipment and landscape gradually becomes more interesting for older children.
- Some of the play equipment is designed to be enjoyed by children with disabilities.
- There is seating, picnic tables and, a shaded canopy and deck area at the north end. Trees will give more shade over time as they grow.
- Toilets are open from dawn to dusk, and are located in the Avalon Pavilion on the east side of the playground.
- The under-fives area at the north end of the playground includes slides, sandpits and an artificial stream featuring a variety of water play equipment.
- You'll find more adventurous play equipment for older children at the centre and south end of the playground. It includes The Helix and Red Spaceball climbing frames, the Super Mega Swing, a bird’s nest swing, the Amazon Tower slide, tunnels, climbing walls and a twin flying fox.
- The artificial stream offers a variety of wet play. On hot days children can still splash about and get wet if they wish. For a splash pad, visit Lower Hutt’s McKenzie Baths.
Other facilities at Motutawa Avalon Park
- Beginners’ cycle circuit with various intersections and surfaces
- Lions Club model train (charge applies)
- Lions Club mini putt golf with ice cream and drink sales (charges apply)
- Public toilets
- Free electric barbecues, picnic tables and seating
- Model marine boating pond - used by the Model Marine Boat Club
- Public tennis court and Avalon Tennis Club
- Open lawn areas
- Links to the Hutt River Trail
- Historical information panel
- The “Smiling Windmills” sculptures
- Skate Park near Fairway Drive
- Free Pétanque Piste
Dogs in Motutawa Avalon Park
Dogs are only allowed:
- On-lead on the designated sealed paths. The paths are stamped with yellow dog walking signs. If there is no yellow stamp, you can’t walk your dog there.
- On-lead at the north end of the park, past the treeline.
Dogs are not allowed:
- In the bike and scooter area next to the train tunnel
- On the bridge over duck pond
- On the pathway that goes around the pond – excluding the section next to the mini golf for access between the southern carpark and Avalon Park Drive
- In the main playground next to Avalon Pavilion
- In the skateboard area at the south end of the park.
If you're walking a dog in Avalon Park, remember to clean up after it. Find out more about dog exercise areas in Lower Hutt.
Avalon Pavilion hire
The Avalon Pavilion is managed by the Avalon Pavilion Trust. You can contact them direct at avalonpavilionLH@gmail.com
Make a booking
Fill out the online booking form to request a booking.
Get in touch with our Parks and Recreation team.