Getting to know Riddiford Garden
Riddiford Garden is spread over 3.2 hectares near the heart of the city’s CBD.
It is bounded by the War Memorial Library, the Lower Hutt Events Centre, Council’s main Laings Road building and Queens Drive.
Riddiford Garden is one of the oldest horticultural parks in Lower Hutt, coming into existence in 1923. It is one of the most significant areas of green space in the city centre, containing a large open lawn and established trees, a children’s playground, a war monument and a conservatory.
A major upgrade project of the park was completed in 2018.
The park hosts events as well as being a suitable place for wedding photographs. We welcome approaches from individuals or organisations who want to use the park for lively and vibrant events.
Riddiford Garden is completely smokefree, along with many of our other public spaces. Please don't smoke in any area of the park.
We have many family friendly visitor attractions at Riddiford Garden, including:
- A Cenotaph War Memorial
- Fully accessible modern public toilets with a baby change facility
- Riddiford Pavilion: a kiosk that community groups can book
- A basketball half court and skater-friendly space
- A permanent outdoor table tennis table
- Two free electric BBQ plates under a shade canopy
- Stream, gardens and mature trees
- Lawns and picnic spaces
- Playground for preschool children
- Play water feature
- Gibbes Watson Conservatory at the Myrtle Street side of the garden
Make a booking
You can book sites and facilities in Riddiford Garden. To find out more call us on 04 570 6666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.