- Buy reusable rather than disposable products
- Choose products with less packaging
- Buy from bulk bins and choose concentrated products
- Buy only what you need, to reduce spoilage
- Take your own bags to the supermarket
- Buy products in reusable, refillable or recyclable containers
- Buy well-made appliances and goods, and keep them in good condition
Before you throw anything away, think whether any part of it could be reused and given another life. Jars, tins and plastic containers are great for storage. Friends and community groups may be able to use that garment or furniture you have replaced. At Silverstream Landfill you can drop off reusable items for Earthlink Inc. to repair and refurbish for sale at their WasteSmart shop.
Keep plastic, cans, glass and paper out of your rubbish - put them in your recycling bin. You'll save on the cost of rubbish bags and materials can be used for making new products.
Buy recycled products where possible as this supports the collection of recyclables. Manufacturing products from recycled materials saves our natural resources, creates less pollution and saves energy.
There is more information on how to recycle in our services section.