Lower Hutt is a great place for gardening. A large part of the city used to serve as market gardens, and in many places we are blessed with luscious river silt soils.
With a bit of planning, the clay rich soil on our windy hillsides can be fantastic for growing food all year round.
Why is gardening useful?
- It can take money off your food bill. Food gardening can give you access to fresh, tasty and healthy food and can also reduce your weekly shopping budget.
- It can keep you healthy. Gardening can can increase your personal resilience and ensures a healthy diet regardless of your economic circumstances.
- It keeps you fit. Gardening can provide gentle exercise and is a good activity to do outside without the cost and strain of having to go to a gym.
- It's good for the environment. Maintaining a native or decorative garden enhances biodiversity and helps look after our bird and insect populations by giving them habitats.
- It's clean. Gardening doesn't have to involve chemical sprays. See our brochures below for lots of tips on natural, chemical free gardening.
- It's cheap. You can build a garden from recycled materials, save or swap your own seeds, propagate your own plants and make your own compost and fertiliser.
- It's good for your mental health. Gardening is creative and helps you connect with nature's beauty in a peaceful environment. It gives you the satisfaction of nurturing and caring for something.
- It impresses the neighbours. A well looked after garden and vegetable plot can be the talk of the neighbourhood. Whether you want to take a stand for food self-reliance, liberate your lawn or convert the front yard to potatoes, you are sure to impress!
Learn more about gardening
Download one of our brochures:
Limited garden space? Check out these online resources: