Climate change maps and information
Use these maps to see the potential impact of climate change on Lower Hutt:
The information we already have about climate change impacts that Lower Hutt is susceptible to is:
- available on Greater Wellington’s website
- included in Land Information Memorandum (LIM) reports
- used in Council’s consenting process for planning, building and subdividing
Wellington Water has started modelling the likely impacts of extreme rainfall on the urban areas in Lower Hutt, starting with Wainuiomata. Flood hazard maps show what flooding looks like for flooding in 1-in-100-year and 1-in-10-year floods along with:
- where waterways are most likely to breach their banks
- where water moves across land during flooding, and
- areas of ponding.
Managing flood risk in Lower Hutt
Sea level rise
We’re planning for the impacts of climate change, such as sea level rise on our coastal communities.
Through co-design we've started work on creating a pathway for how Lower Hutt could respond and become more resilient to forecast climate impacts such as sea level rise. We're planning to engage with the Lower Hutt community in early 2021.