Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in New Zealand, with over 5,000 New Zealanders dying every year from tobacco related disease. Non-smokers are at risk too, with 350 deaths per year estimated to be from exposure to second-hand smoke.
We’re leading the way to ensure that Lower Hutt:
- is a healthy community
- has a healthy natural environment with clean air, water and land
- has a built environment that is attractive, safe and healthy.
Find out more below about the smokefree initiatives we have to make Lower Hutt a healthier place to live, learn, work and play. We have information for communities, people who want to quit smoking, workplaces, and businesses who want to support and achieve a smokefree Lower Hutt.
Smokefree places in Lower Hutt
The following places in our city are smokefree:
- Outdoor public swimming pools
- Parks and sports grounds
- Bus shelters
- Train stations
- Outside Council buildings and facilities
- Council run and sponsored events
- Outdoor pavement dining areas.
We’re also exploring designating areas in town centres as smokefree. In 2016 we extended the Smokefree Policy to include outdoor pavement dining areas.
Lower Hutt’s Smokefree Policy
Our Smokefree Outdoor Public Places Policy (PDF 296.1 KB) is being rolled out in stages and aims to reduce smoking and the impact of second-hand smoke.
We know that children 'do as they see'. We we want to make smoking less normal by making it less visible for our children, and raise a smokefree generation.
Smokefree public places make it easier for smokers to quit and stay smokefree. We're also linking smokers to quit support to make quitting easier.
Smokefree zone maps
The smokefree zone maps (PDF 8.1 MB) show the smokefree public areas around Council’s facilities and parks.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
We've developed some questions and answers (PDF 188.5 KB) that give more detail about the policy.
- Queensgate proud to be smokefree. Queensgate Shopping Centre in Lower Hutt took action to promote its outdoor spaces as smokefree, making the Queensgate experience even better for customers and retailers.