Dog exercise areas map
To find out where you can and can't walk your dog, open the interactive map of dog exercise areas or check out the places listed on this page.
If you're in a public place, your dog needs to be on a lead.
If you're in a designated dog exercise area, your dog doesn’t need to be on a leash but you are required to carry one. Your dog also needs to be under control.
Where can I exercise my dog?
- Ava Park
- Avalon Park at the northern end (on leash only)
- Bell Park
- Black Creek (west) Banks
- Burden Avenue Riverbank Reserve
- Days Bay Beach (on leash only, before 8am and after 9pm)
- Delaney Park
- Drainage Reserve between Mohaka Street and Momona Street
- Drainage Reserve between Parkway and Wise Park
- Drainage Reserve between Wainuiomata Road and Fraser Street
- Eastbourne (Muritai) Beach
- Frank Cameron Park
- Hine Road Reserve
- Hutt Recreation Ground
- Hutt River Bank (eastern bank - Stokes Valley to Strand Park)
- Hutt River Bank (western bank - Benmore Crescent south to Belmont Domain - excluding the Rhododendron Dell)
- Kamahi Park
- Karaka Park
- Kelson Sports Ground
- Kennedy Good Bridge south to Melling Bridge
- Leonard Wood Park
- McEwan Park
- Melling Bridge south to Ava Park
- Memorial and Sladden Parks
- Naenae Park
- North Park
- Pencarrow Hall Reserve
- Petone Beach west of Petone Wharf
- Petone Recreation Ground
- Richard Prouse Park
- Te Whiti Park
- Trafalgar Park
- Wainuiomata River Bank
- York Park
Where can’t I take my dog?
Unless your dog is a guide dog, hearing ear dog, companion dog, or a working dog being used by the Police or a security company, you can't take your dog to:
- Public libraries
- Council swimming pools
- Kindergartens and play centres
- Marked sports fields
- Special events where advertised.
In addition, you can't take your dog to the following areas:
- Days Bay Pumping Station and the wildlife management reserve next to it
- Beaches where there are signs prohibiting dogs between 9am-8pm during daylight savings. These include picnic and leisure areas of: Point Howard, Sorrento Bay, Lowry Bay, York Bay, Mahina Bay, Days Bay, Rona Bay and Robinson Bay
- Petone Beach from Hikoikoi Reserve to Petone Wharf, between 9am-8pm during daylight savings. West of Petone Wharf is a Dog Exercise Area.
- Percy's Scenic Reserve
- East section of McEwan park
- Memorial Park
- Queen Street and Wainuiomata Road/Fitzherbert Road - commercial areas next to Queen Street
- Commercial areas of The Strand, Norfolk Street and Ruthven Road
- Turakirae Head Scenic Reserve
- Wainuiomata Recreational Area - keep your dogs on a leash at all times. No dogs are allowed at the Lower Dam area.
Rimutaka Forest Park and Catchpool Valley
Picnic and camping areas signposted "Dogs Prohibited" and the Landcare Research Station.
- Mitchell Park
- Speldhurst Park
- Fraser Park
- Avalon Park - three quarters of the park from the tree line, to north of the children's bicycle track, to the park's southern boundary. Dogs on leashes are allowed at the northern end of Avalon Park.
Belmont Regional Park
Belmont Recreation Reserve (south end)
East Harbour Regional Park
- Pencarrow Coast Road and the lakes - Lake Kohangapiripiri and Lake Kohangatera
- Burdan's Gate. There is a total ban on dogs, including leashed dogs during lambing season which runs from 1 August to 30 October. At other times dogs must be strictly leashed.
If you're taking your dog out in public it’s your responsibility to clean up after it. You can pick up dog litter bags from vets, pet shops or our Animal Services Centre. You can put used litter bags in regular rubbish bins.
For more information see the Dog Control Bylaw 2015 (PDF 391.4 KB).