Council does not profit from dog registration fees - they are only used to provide a service to the city, and cannot be used for any other reason.
The fees pay for:
- promoting care and control of over 10,000 dogs in Lower Hutt
- patrolling public areas
- encouraging responsible dog ownership - we have over 1,600 dog owners with Responsible Dog Owner status in Lower Hutt
- maintaining national dog database records
- responding to public enquiries about dogs (in 2019 we received over 3,700 calls about dogs)
- providing education to schools and other groups free of charge
- establishing and maintaining dog parks and off-leash exercise areas.