Here’s where you’ll find the fees we charge (PDF 88.1KB) in relation to building consents. All fees include GST.
- Application fees.
- Service connection fees - for wastewater, stormwater and water.
- Certificate for Public use fees - if you want to use part of a new public building before it has a Code Compliance Certificate.
- Certificate of Acceptance fees - if you build without a building consent and need a statement from us that the work you’ve done complies with the New Zealand Building Code.
- Building Warrant of Fitness fees – including cable cars - A Building Warrant of Fitness is official written confirmation that the ‘specified systems’ in a building (listed on a Compliance Schedule) are properly maintained to a high standard and regularly tested to ensure the safety of those who enter the building.
- Compliance Schedule fees – including cable cars - A Compliance Schedule is an inventory of all the specified systems in your building and their performance standards. It also details the inspection, testing and reporting procedures required to keep them working properly
- Environmental sustainability initiative fees - fees waived and reduced for initiatives such as solar heating and power systems, double glazing and rainwater tanks.
- Pool inspections - All residential pools (including small heated pools such as spa pools or hot tubs) must comply with the pool safety provisions enacted by the Building Act 2004. Councils nationwide must undertake inspections of each pool to confirm compliance.
The application fees (PDF 88.1KB) cover our initial administration and processing time and the specified number of inspections. They don’t include:
- additional administration, processing and inspection fees
- disbursement costs
- consultants’ fees (at cost)
- the BRANZ levy ($1 per $1,000 for works valued at $20,000 and over)
- the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment levy ($1.75 per $1,000 for works valued at $20,444 and over).
We’ll let you know the details of these additional fees once the application process is complete.
If you withdraw or cancel your application, any refund will reflect the time our team have already spent processing it.
Take a look at our Fee Calculator - it's designed to help you plan your project by estimating your initial Building Consent fees.
How to keep your costs down
There are ways to keep your consent costs down, these are:
- Book a free consultation with an Eco Design Advisor to go over your plans – this can help with the design of your project to keep costs down.
- Talk to Council before submitting your application in a free pre-application meeting– we will make sure the right people are around the table to help you.
- Save time and apply online – making sure you supply all the correct information & all forms are completed correctly (including signatures!).
If you have any questions or would like more information, please get in touch we’ll be happy to help.