Here’s how the process works when you, or your agent or architect, lodge your building consent application:
- We check your application form and the plans and specifications to make sure we have all the information we need, and calculate the deposit fee.
- You pay the deposit fee.
- The statutory 20 working days time clock starts.
- We check your application to make sure it complies with the New Zealand Building Code. We may ask a specialist consultant to help with this.
- We may contact you or your agent with any questions during the assessment process. If further information is requested, the time clock pauses until all the correct information has been provided and the clock recommences.
- If we approve your application the time clock stops and we get in touch to let you know, and advise you whether there are any more fees to pay.
- Once you’ve paid any required fees, you can receive your consent documents:
- by email, or
- by post as hard copy (a fee applies), or
- in person, by collecting them at the Council offices.
For more information about the content of a building consent including any specific conditions that may be applicable please go to MBIE website.
If we decline your application
We occasionally decline applications for building consent. This is usually because:
- information that we’ve asked for hasn’t been supplied in a reasonable timeframe, or
- there’s not enough detail to prove that the work will comply with the New Zealand Building Code.
If this is the case we’ll write to you and explain why we’ve declined your application. Our letter will include an invoice for processing costs.
If you believe this decision is wrong you can ask the Department of Building and Housing for a determination. Determinations are legally binding decisions on disputes or questions about the rules that apply to buildings. To find out more about determinations, go to MBIE website. Check the ‘previous determinations’ on the website – some of them might be about situations like yours. A determination can be appealed to the District Court.
Building Consent Authority Complaint
If you would like to make a complaint relating to the consenting process please contact us directly by phone on 04 570 6666 or email Contact@huttcity.govt.nz. An investigation will be completed regarding the nature of the complaint and you will be notified of the outcome and any further actions taken as a result of the complaint.