Building consent fees
Here’s where you’ll find the fees we charge (PDF 81KB) in relation to building consents. If you have any questions or would like more information, please get in touch. We’ll be happy to help.
All fees include GST.
- Application fees
- Service connection fees (for wastewater, stormwater and water)
- Certificate for Public Use fees (if you want to use part of a new public building before it has a Code Compliance Certificate) Find out more
- Certificate of Acceptance fees (if you build without a building consent and need a statement from us that the work you’ve done complies with the New Zealand Building Code) Find out more
- Building Warrant of Fitness fees – including cable cars - A Building Warrant of Fitness is official written confirmation that the ‘specified systems’ in a building (listed on a Compliance Schedule) are properly maintained to a high standard and regularly tested to ensure the safety of those who enter the building Find out more
- Compliance Schedule fees – including cable cars - A Compliance Schedule is an inventory of all the specified systems in your building and their performance standards. It also details the inspection, testing and reporting procedures required to keep them working properly Find out more
- Environmental sustainability initiative fees (fees waived and reduced for initiatives such as solar heating and power systems, double glazing and rainwater tanks) Find out more
- Pool inspections - All residential pools (including small heated pools such as spa pools or hot tubs) must comply with the pool safety provisions enacted by the Building Act 2004. Councils nationwide must undertake inspections of each pool to confirm compliance. Find out more.
The application fees (PDF 81KB) cover our initial administration and processing time and the specified number of inspections. They don’t include:
- additional administration, processing and inspection fees
- disbursement costs
- consultants’ fees (at cost)
- the BRANZ levy ($1 per $1,000 for works valued at $20,000 and over)
- the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment levy ($2.01 per $1,000 for works valued at $20,444 and over).
We’ll let you know the details of these additional fees once the application process is complete.
Note that if you withdraw or cancel your application, any refund will reflect the time our team have already spent processing it.
Take a look at our Fee Calculator - it's designed to help you plan your project by estimating your initial Building Consent fees.
How to keep your costs down
There are ways to keep your consent costs down, these are:
Resource consent fees
Here’s where you’ll find the fees we charge (PDF 81KB) in relation to resource consents.
All fees include GST and are payable under section 36 of the Resource Management Act 1991.
- application fees
- subdivision fees
- environmental sustainability initiative fees (fess waived and reduced for initiatives such as solar heating and power systems, double glazing and rainwater tanks)
- other fees
The resource consent application fees cover only the cost of processing your application. If we approve your application you might also have to pay:
- additional processing fees
- consultants’, advisors’ and specialists’ fees (at cost)
- the costs of disbursements, such as venue hire for hearings, photocopying, catering, postage and public notifications (at cost)
- monitoring fees while the work's underway, to cover costs for site visits, research, photos, communications and administration
Remission of Development fees
If you're planning a development anywhere in the city, you may qualify for remission of development fees charged by Council. Find out more.