What sort of advice can I get?
During your appointment you'll get a two-hour consultation at your place or ours, covering topics such as:
- creating a warm and comfortable home
- draughts and how to fix them
- if solar power will be beneficial for you
- heating options
- ventilation and ventilation systems
- council sustainability initiatives
- insulation advice
- moisture and mould
- windows and what to do with them
- hot water systems
- energy efficiency for new and existing homes.
Request an appointment
To request an appointment with our Eco Design Advisor:
Fee discounts for sustainability initiatives
We support sustainable building initiatives by waiving fees and reducing the application fees for:
- domestic solar hot-water-heating panels
- solar water-heating systems
- hot-water systems (wetbacks associated with wood-pellet stoves and low-emission wood burners)
- hot-water heat pump systems
- solar photovoltaic systems
- double-glazing retrofits on houses built before 2000
- rainwater tanks.
Get free eco-design information
Check out our eco-design information sheets – and make your home warm, dry, healthy and energy efficient:
- Building materials: ways to identify and avoid using harmful building materials, such as toxic solvents, chemicals and glues (PDF 256 kb)
- Insulation: how it works, your insulation options and costs, how to choose the best insulation for your house, and the government subsidies available. (PDF 290 kb)
- Mould: ways to combat mould and keep your home warm and dry (PDF 233 kb)
- Passive solar design: how to harness and store the sun’s energy for release overnight (PDF 263 kb)
- Windows and curtains: how to position windows and use double-glazing and curtains to hold in free heat and reduce your power bills (PDF 202 kb)
Healthy homes standards
The healthy homes standards introduce specific and minimum standards for heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture and drainage, and draught stopping in rental properties.
- All private rentals must comply within 90 days of any new or renewed tenancy after 1 July 2021, with all private rentals complying by 1 July 2024.
- All boarding houses must comply by 1 July 2021.
- All houses rented by Kāinga Ora (formerly Housing New Zealand) and registered Community Housing Providers must comply by 1 July 2023.
Find out more about the healthy home standards or make an appointment with our Eco Design Advisor for advice.
We can't make you build beyond the NZ Building Code, but we can show you ways to do better than these minimum standards - watch the video for more:
Having a Warmer, Drier and More Comfortable Home
Take a look at our videos on how to have a warmer, drier and more comfortable home.
Part 1: Ventilation
Watch a version in Samoan:
Part 2: Insulation
Part 3: Heating