If you’re living in a typical NZ house, chances are your home isn’t very energy efficient, causing a damp, cold house and/or high energy bills.
Council's Eco Design service now has a HEAT kit available for loan from our libraries to help you figure out:
- which areas of your home are using the most energy
- where you can make changes to make your home healthier and warmer, and
- how to save on your power bills and reduce your carbon footprint.
How the HEAT kit works
The HEAT kit comes with all the tools you need to measure the temperature of different parts of your home to see where heat is being lost.
It also has tools for monitoring some of your appliances, so you can see how much energy they use - and how much they are costing you to run.
The do-it-yourself toolkit contains:
- Infra-red thermometer to help you find hot or cold spots, to identify poorly insulated areas or air leaks.
- Thermometer/hygrometer for measuring air temperature and moisture levels.
- Stopwatch for checking your shower flow rate.
- Power meter for checking the energy use and running costs of your major appliances eg. fridge and freezer.
- Instructions and resources for more information.
How to book a HEAT kit
- You can request a HEAT kit booking by:
- completing the HEAT kit booking form, or
- coming in to see us at any Hutt City Library.
- Once we’ve received your request we’ll contact you to confirm if its available and make a booking. We’ll also set up a time for our Eco design Advisor to pick up the toolkit after 1 week and complete a free in-home assessment.
- On your booking date, pick up the toolkit from your preferred location.
- When it’s time to return the toolkit, our Eco Design Advisor will come and pick it up at an agreed time. They will also complete your free in-home assessment – designed to complement your own observations.
For more information email our Eco Design Advisor at: firstname.lastname@example.org