In fact, the Ministry for the Environment predicts C&D waste may represent up to:
- 50 per cent of all waste generated in New Zealand
- 20 per cent of all waste going to landfill
- 80 per cent of all waste going to clean-fill.
C&D waste is a complex waste stream, made up of a wide variety of materials including concrete, plasterboard, treated and untreated wood, steel, brick and glass. However if it's managed properly, C&D waste can be reduced, re-used and recovered, dramatically reducing the amount thrown away.
To effectively reduce the amount of C&D waste going to landfill, designers, developers, construction companies and recycling companies all need to work together, each doing their share to reduce, reuse and recycle by adhering to best practice guidelines. For some of the things to consider, download this document (PDF 84 kb).
Read a full range of guidelines and best practice information.
Local recycling companies include:
Unsorted construction waste / skip hire:
- Woods Waste, 17 School Road, Kaiwharawhara 6035 Wellington, 04 475 9301
Untreated timber (includes untreated / HT pallets):
- Set out with a sign for community use for firewood
- Southern Landfill Wellington runs a composting programme and can process a certain amount of untreated timber
- Macauley Metals, 45 Seaview Road, Seaview, T: 04 568 6507
- Ingot Metals, 2 Port Rpad, Seaview, T: 04 568 8300
- Capital Recycling, 334 Hebden Crescent, Kelson, T: 04 565 1025
- Sims Pacific Metals, 12 Barnes Street, Seaview, Lower Hutt, T: 04 568 4342
Plastic waste (food packaging etc):
Building parts (reusable):
Careful deconstruction can really pay off for recovery of reusable building parts and materials!
- Renovators, 95 Cuba Street, Petone, T: 04 568 3381
- Home Improvers Building Recyclers, 114 Tirangi Road, Moera, T: 04 387 9192
Interwaste Fluoro bulb recycling – call 0800 102 131
Polypalace, Spicer Landfill, Broken Hill Road, Porirua 5022, T: 0800 725 223
For questions about particular projects, other waste streams or for further help and information, please contact Natalie Hormann, Sustainability Officer, Natalie.email@example.com or 04 570 6883.