First interments for caskets are now provided for Lower Hutt residents at Akatarawa Cemetery, Akatarawa Road, Upper Hutt.
Taita Cemetery sections
The Old Monumental Section is mostly denominational and is closed for first interments. However subsequent interments (burial of a casket or contained cremated remains) still take place here.
The Taita Lawn Cemetery is now closed for first interments of caskets but is available for second and third body interments in existing (family) plots or contained cremated remains (ashes). Within the Taita Lawn Cemetery there is a bush trail, where cremated remains can be interred surrounded by native bush, and a memorial tree area. There is also a Services Cemetery for Returned Service People and options for memorial-only plots where there is to be no interment.
Pre-purchasing of plots is not permitted.
- Old Monumental Section: Kowhai Street opposite Naenae Road, Naenae
- Taita Lawn Cemetery: Northern end of Rimu Street, Naenae
Pedestrian access: 24 hours
- During Daylight Savings: 7.30am – 8pm
- All other times: 7.30am – 5pm
- Standard hours are Monday – Friday: 10am – 4pm
- Saturday morning interments are allowed by appointment only and charges are applicable for out of hours visit.
- Closed on public holidays and Sundays.
The office is no longer open for public enquiries. You can send us an enquiry by calling 04 570 6666 or emailing email@example.com.
Wainuiomata Garden of Remembrance
The Wainuiomata Garden of Remembrance is an ash interment facility. Ash scattering isn’t permitted here or at any other Council facility, park or reserve.
- Each plot can hold two urns of cremated remains
- Plots are sold consecutively and further areas will be developed when required
- Plots can’t be pre-purchased
Northern end of Hine Road, Wainuiomata
Pedestrian access: 24 hours pedestrian access
Bookings and enquiries
For bookings and other enquiries, call us on 04 570 6666.