Before going away on holiday
- Cancel newspaper before going away – so it’s not obvious you’re away.
- Let neighbours know you are leaving
- Tell alarm monitoring company your plans
Thinking of others
- Call in to see an elderly neighbour – show you care
- Let your mates know you care – don’t let them drive home drunk
- Donate something to foodbank this summer
- Don’t drink and fry
- Phone police over suspicious behaviour on your street
- Look at www.acc.co.nz for more safety tips
- Www.getthru.govt.nz for disaster preparedness
Events, parties, good summer times
- Go to our Events page for what’s on this summer
- Be careful at all times around water
- Use taxis if out partying
- Lots of food and soft drinks not just alcohol
- Let friends know where you are going and when you are due back
Projects around the home
- Use ladders safely – three contact points (two feet and a hand)
- Install fire alarms this summer
- Don’t leave your tools lying around – for little hands
Out and about
- Lock your car and hide valuables while shopping
- Always wear your helmet when cycling
- Look out for cyclists when driving
- Clear all graffiti vandalism or report it to Council – 04 570 6666
- Buy (and use) sunscreen – slip slop slap wrap!
- Slow down – no rush eh!
Look after yourself, your families, your neighbours and your mates.
Take it easy and stay safe. Have a great summer.