Funding allocation and application dates
||month of event
||Applications will remain open until funding allocation has been exhausted
||Last working day in September or until funding allocation exhausted
||Last working day in December or until funding allocation exhausted
||Last working day in March or until funding
Applications can be submitted at any time during the year for an event taking place in a yet to be assessed quarter. Please note application close dates above.
We encourage you to get your application in well in advance of the application closing date for best chance of funding being available.
We endeavour to assess applications as frequently as possible but please allow up to three weeks for a response.
If the funding allocation for a quarter is exhausted before the application close date we shall update this on the website and any subsequent applications will be notified on receipt of application.
If the allocated funding amount is not reached during any quarter the excess will be rolled over into the following quarter.
Events Strategy 2013-2023
Lower Hutt's events strategy focuses on activities that boost the vibrancy of our city. Download a copy of the strategy (PDF 1 Mb).
Funding criteria and priorities – what we are looking for
To apply for funding you or your organisation need to be a legal entity such as a trust, company, incorporated society or association to be eligible to receive funding.
Our Events Strategy outlines some guiding principles and looks to support events which contribute to the following key themes:
- Active Outdoors and Sporting
- Heritage and Culture
- Artistic and Creative
- Science and Technology (with an emphasis on high value manufacturing and services)
We give priority to:
- events that support key Council plans and strategies such as the Long Term Plan and the Events Strategy
- events that help to build our community and city identity
- events that use or showcase city assets eg, parks, harbours, facilities
We are looking to support events that:
- will be held in a public place within Lower Hutt and benefit our community
- are open to everyone, not just particular sectors of the community
- make a positive contribution to our community outcomes, as listed in our current Long Term Plan (LTP)
- haven’t started before the application has been assessed
- show how they are of benefit to Lower Hutt residents
What we consider when we assess your application
When we’re going through your application we look at things like:
- whether it meets the overall criteria and priorities of the fund
- whether it contributes to the LTP outcomes
- whether you've received any Council grants in the past
- other possible sources of funding available to your organisation or group, and your fundraising capabilities
- how well your organisation or group complies with relevant legislative requirements and standards of good practice
- whether your event stands to make a profit
- the level of existing funding support you currently receive from Council
- the amount applied for compared to the overall event budget and the number of expected attendees/participants (it's our policy not to provide funding for more than a third of the overall event budget)
- if you have applied to any other funding source for the same purpose
What we don't fund
We won’t fund event costs that go towards:
- facility development or funding for capital works
- eliminating or servicing debt
- administration costs, such as telephone, electricity, employment costs and vehicle costs
- prize money or entrance fees
- food and beverage including lunches, private functions or dinners, purchase of alcohol
- feasibility studies
- legal costs
- uniforms, costumes or T-shirts
- items that have been already paid for, or events which have passed, at the time of your application
- events that directly conflict with another event run or supported by Council
- events of a primarily political or religious nature
The application process
Start by completing an application form. You need to make your application on an official Event Support Fund Application Form (PDF 600KB).
Make sure you complete all relevant sections of the form and provide all the documentation we've asked for. We'll be unable to process your application if we don't have all the information.
Keep a copy of your form: we can't make a copy for you after we receive your form.
Send your completed form to:
Event Support Fund – City Events
Hutt City Council
Private Bag 31912
Lower Hutt 5040
You can also email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll email you back to let you know we've received your application. Please note, we don't accept applications by fax.
Applications for each quarter must be received at our offices by 5pm on the last working day of the month applications close. Please see the funding allocation table above for closing dates.
Assessing your application
First, we check that your application has been completed properly and that you've provided all the required documentation. If information is missing you'll be asked to provide it, which means your application won't be assessed until we receive all the supporting information we need. We'll only hold applications for one month – after that, if the information we need still hasn’t been received, your application will be declined.
The assessment team will consider all applications that have been completed properly and contain all the required information and documentation. They'll decide whether your grant has been approved or declined.
If your application is accepted, we'll send you an email advising you how to claim your grant money.
If your application is declined, you should receive a letter approximately seven working days after the assessment team has met. You can reapply for a grant, but you'll need to submit a completely new application.
Using your grant
Grants must be used within three months of deposit into your bank account and for the purpose stated on your application form.
If you don’t use the entire grant, or if you received funds from any other sources for the same purpose(s) as you applied to the Event Support Fund, you must return the unspent amount of the grant funds along with an Accountability Report to account for the grant money you have spent.
You can't use unspent grant funds for any other purpose that we haven't approved.
Please complete a grant Accountability Report and return it to the Events Support Fund assessment team within two months of your event date, along with copies of your receipts and invoices.
How you can acknowledge Council support
If your application is successful you might like to acknowledge Council's support.
- mention us in your newsletter, magazine, or website
- acknowledge us at your AGM, or official opening
- place our logo on your website and event promotional material
- borrow Council signs or flags from the City Events team to display at your event
- mention our support during a speech or speeches about the event
Events Support Fund forms
Past successful applicants
Read a list of the successful applicants for 2016-2017
If you haven't already viewed it then see our Frequently Asked Questions.