About the Kākano Fund
This fund is for new ideas you'd like to try.
We look for projects that:
- are clearly making a difference
- use collaborative approaches
- are from well managed organisations
- use innovative approaches
- have community ownership.
To find out when the next round will take place, see our Funding Calendar.
How big is the fund?
$70,000 per year.
How much can I apply for?
It depends on your idea. It could be a small grant for a grass roots local initiative. Or if you have a big new idea you could consider applying for the total amount of money in the fund, although of course that would mean that if your idea is funded then others would miss out. Anything will be considered; we look for costs that are fair and reasonable for the idea you propose.
How long is the funding for?
The Kākano fund provides funding for one year only. You are welcome to apply each year but not for the same initiative because this fund is for new ideas only.
When and how do I apply?
The fund closes on the 20th of each month. The fund will be open all year until it is fully allocated.
The application process is quick and simple through an online application form followed by a meeting with a Council Officer to discuss the project.
What is the decision and reporting process?
Funding decisions will be made by Council officers, with decisions made within 10 days of the fund closing for the month.
We will bring all recipients of the Kākano fund together at a specified date so that you can report on the results of your idea in person to us and to your peers.
Successful applicants must:
- use our funds only for the approved purpose, in accordance with any terms and conditions we've set
- use the funds within 10 months of receiving approval
- let us know at once if any difficulty or potential difficulty arises that might compromise the service or project
- lay a complaint with Police if any funds are stolen or misappropriated, and then notify us
- we have the right to audit how the funds were used
- be available to present your completed project to our representatives
- recognise our support in your publicity material, annual reports and similar publications
Apply for funding
You can apply for funding online.
We prefer online applications, but you can also:
Successful Kākano Fund applicants 2018-19 (PDF 95.8 KB)