Before you apply
Before you apply for registration, you need to make sure you have a correct resource consent and a building consent for your business. Depending on your requirements, you may need us to inspect the premises before you make an application. We recommend that you get in touch with us.
For new premises: check if the premises are consented
You'll need to contact our resource consents team to ensure that a hairdressing premises is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.
Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection – for new and existing premises
You'll need to contact our building consents team if you're planning to make structural changes or intending to change how the building is used, such as changing a gift shop to a hairdressing salon.
Read the information sheet on setting up a hairdresser salon (PDF 222 Kb).
How to apply
While you prepare your application, you'll need to speak to us about your requirements. Please get in touch to talk to us.
Arrange an inspection with us. We will look at the maintenance of the premises, sterilisation processes and storage of chemicals.
When you are ready to apply:
- Fill in one of the following forms:
- Get the following ready to submit with your application:
- any resource consents you may have received as part of this application
- a Code of Compliance Certificate if you've received one
- the appropriate fee for your application. We'll advise you of the correct amount before you apply
- Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any relevant attachments.
- Once the application has been processed we will send you your Certificate of Registration.
How long will it take?
Please ask us how long it's likely to take to process your application, as this can vary depending on your situation and requirements.
How much does it cost?
Costs will vary between different types of registrations. You can view our costs on the fees and charges page.
We levy an establishment fee for new premises because setting up new premises involves more inspection visits.
Renewing a hairdressing registration