Before you apply
Before you apply for a registration, you need to make sure you have a correct resource consent and a building consent for your business. Depending on your requirements, you may need us to inspect the premises before you make an application. We recommend that you get in touch with us first.
For new premises: check if the premises are consented
You'll need to contact our resource consents team to ensure the business you are proposing is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.
Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection – for new and existing premises
You'll need to contact our building consents team if you're planning to make structural changes or intending to change how the building is used.
Get your trade waste sorted before you apply
Our trade waste team can help you assess and check to make sure whether you need consent to dispose your waste. The premises may also have specific trade waste requirements.
How to apply
While you prepare your application, you may need to speak to us about your requirements - get in touch to talk to us.
Arrange an inspection with us. We'll look at the cleanliness of your premises, ventilation and lighting, washing facilities, drainage and toilets, personal hygiene and clothing, disinfection procedures, storage of products and vermin/insect control.
When you're ready to apply:
- Fill in one of the following forms:
- New mortuary and/or funeral director
Application for Registration (PDF 309 kb)
Application for a New Premises Registration (PDF 168 kb)
- Transfer of existing mortuary and/or funeral director
Application for a Transfer of Existing Registration (PDF 168 kb)
- Get the following ready to submit with your application form:
- a floor plan of your new premises
- any resource consents you may have received as part of this application
- a Code of Compliance certificate if you received one as part of this application
- the appropriate fee for your application. We'll advise you of the correct amount before you apply.
- Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any relevant attachments.
- Once the application is processed, we'll send you your Certificate of Registration.
How long will it take?
Please talk to us about timeframes. The time it takes to issue a permit depends on your situation and requirements.
How much does it cost?
Costs will vary between different types of registrations. You can view our costs on the fees and charges page.
We levy an establishment fee for new premises, because setting up new premises involves more inspection visits.
Renewing a mortuary or funeral director registration