Appearance industries are now regulated via Council bylaw. You will need to register your premises with Council annually, unless your activity is exempt. Council can also issue a licence for combined Appearance Industries and Hairdressers, who carry out both activities.
Read our bylaw and code of practice.
Code of Practice Summaries
The Code of Practice that we have for the appearance industry bylaw is written in fairly legal language. We've created a series of summaries in ‘plain English’ that operators will find easier to use.
Please note that summary sheets are provided only for information and does not replace or supplement the Hutt City Council Bylaw Code of Practice.
RSE-INFO-031A - MS 1A Permanent premises
RSE-INFO-031B - MS 1B Mobile or temporary premises
RSE-INFO-032 - MS 2 Operator conduct
RSE-INFO-033 - MS 3 Piercing of the skin
RSE-INFO-033A - MS 3A Body piercing
RSE-INFO-033B - MS 3B Tattooing
RSE-INFO-033C - MS 3C Traditional tools tattooing
RSE-INFO-033D - MS 3D Acupuncture
RSE-INFO-033E - MS 3E Electrolysis - Red vein treatment - Derma rolling
RSE-INFO-034 - MS 4 Risk of breaking the skin
RSE-INFO-034A - MS 4A Hair removal
RSE-INFO-034B - MS 4B Manicure - Pedicure
RSE-INFO-034C - MS 4C Exfoliation
RSE-INFO-035 - MS 5 Pulsed light and laser treatment
Before you apply
Before you apply for registration, you need to make sure you have a correct resource consent and a building consent for your business. Depending on your requirements, you may need us to inspect the premises before you make an application. We recommend that you get in touch with us.
For new premises: check if the premises are consented
You'll need to contact our resource consents team to ensure that an appearance industry premises is permitted in the location. There may be special requirements like set operating hours or car parking provisions.
Check if your planned structural or plumbing changes require inspection – for new and existing premises
You'll need to contact our building consents team if you're planning to make structural changes or intending to change how the building is used, such as changing a gift shop to an appearance industry business.
How to apply
While you prepare your application, you'll need to speak to us about your requirements. Please get in touch to talk to us.
When you are ready to apply:
- Fill in one of the following forms:
- Get the following ready to submit with your application:
- any resource consents you may have received as part of this application
- a Code of Compliance Certificate if you've received one.
- Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any relevant attachments.
- Once the application has been processed, we will arrange for an inspection and if approved, the Certificate of Registration will be issued.
How long will it take?
Please ask us how long it's likely to take to process your application, as this can vary depending on your situation and requirements.
How much does it cost?
Costs will vary between different types of registrations. You can view our costs on the fees and charges page. An invoice will be sent to you after each annual inspection and any follow up visits.
Renewing an appearance industry business registration
- Each year we'll send you an invoice and a filled-in application form.
- You can either:
- Renew your registration online - you will need your health registration and invoice numbers.
- Make changes to the paper form, sign it and come in to pay for it at our front counter at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
- We'll send you a new Certificate of Registration once we receive your application form and fee.