Before you start
If you'd like advice or guidance through the application process, we recommend making an appointment to see a licencing inspector. They can talk you through the paperwork and explain Council's policies.
Use our online form or get in touch with us to set up a meeting. Please give at least one business day's notice so we can arrange your appointment.
Are you going to the right district licensing committee?
You should only apply to Hutt City Council (your local district licensing committee) if your business is based within the boundaries of Lower Hutt. This includes:
Apply for a manager's certificate
A new manager’s certificate expires after 12 months. Renewals expire after three years. It is the applicant's responsibility to apply for a renewal before the expiry date.
Make a new application
To make an application you'll need to:
- Complete the Manager's Certificate form (PDF 326 kb)
Along with your application, please show us:
- Evidence of prior sale of alcohol experience
- Details of any specific premises which you will manage
- A copy of your driver licence or passport
- 2 written character references
- Proof you've passed the Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ)
- Details of any convictions you may have
Renewing a manager’s certificate
To make an application to renew a manager's certificate you'll need to:
- Complete the Application for renewal of Manager's Certificate (PDF 316 kb)
- Provide details of any specific premises which the applicant will manage, along with your application.
- You'll need a Licence Controller Qualification for your renewal to be issued for three years. If you don't provide this with your application, we'll issue a 12 month renewal to give you time to complete the bridging test.
Change of manager
A licensee must notify us when they appoint a certificated manager or when they cancel or terminate the employment of a certificated manager.
A licensee may appoint a temporary manager or an acting manager (depending on circumstances) if the certificated manager is ill, absent, dismissed or resigns.
In each case, you must complete a Notice of Management Change form (PDF 48 kb)
Apply for a licence
When you're ready to make an application, you'll need to fill in the forms for the appropriate type of licence. For On-licence, Off-licence and Club licence applications (including renewals) you'll need to attach a Certificate of Use.
Once you've sent your application to us, we'll let you know if you need to supply extra information to support your application.
Apply for Certificate of Use
If you're applying to get an alcohol licence for your premises, you'll have to get a Certificate of Use from us before you make a licence application. You must attach this certificate to your licence application.
To make an application for Certificate of Use, fill in the Application for a Certificate of Use (PDF 82 kb)
A Certificate of Use won't be granted for the following reasons:
- the use of the premises needs a resource consent and it hasn't been granted
- there's a pending Code Compliance Certificate to be issued for the building
Once we've checked both the public notification forms, you are required to:
- advertise in Hutt News – notification gets posted on two separate days
- put public notification up on your premises (shop window)
As soon as both your advertisements have been published in Hutt News, you need to send us the newspaper page with the public notice in it.
Renewing an existing licence
We'll send you reminders close to the licence renewal date. It's your responsibility to apply for a renewal before the expiry date, and to put up public notices.
When you are ready to make an application, you will need to fill in one of the following forms:
You'll need to go through the same public notification process as above.
Apply for a temporary authority
The temporary authority will be subject to existing conditions and is only valid for 3 months.
- you must apply for a permanent alcohol licence within 15 days of your temporary authority being granted
- a person holding a manager’s certificate must be on the premises at all times when alcohol is being sold.
To apply, please fill in the Temporary Authority form (PDF 220 kb) and return it to us.
Processing your application
For manager certificates:
Once we have received your completed application, we run a Police check. If we don't receive any objections, we'll then approve your application. If objections are received your application may require a hearing.
Once we've received your completed application, we'll get reports from Police and Regional Public Health. If we don't receive any objections we'll then approve your application. If objections are received your application may require a hearing.
How long will it take?
The following diagrams show the alcohol licence application process, and how long each step can take:
For manager certificates and licences:
We need a minimum of 20 working days to process your application.
New applications and renewals will take at least six weeks for uncontested applications. If the application is contested it can take much longer to process.
For temporary authority:
We need a minimum of 10 working days to process your application. The temporary authority may be granted for up to three months from the date of issue.
How much does it cost?
Look up our fees framework (PDF 39 kb) to see what your licence may cost.