Temporary road closures or events coming up
|28 February to 12 March
||Queens Drive roadworks at night
||Resurfacing work is being done between 7.00pm and 5.30am. The work has been scheduled in 4 sections (weather permitting):
The section that is being worked on will be closed during the night with detours in place. Please allow extra time to get to your destination or use an alternative route if possible.
- High Street to Laings Road: 8-12 March
- Laings Road to Bunny Street: 28 February - 4 March
- Bunny Street to Waterloo Road: 7-9 March
- Waterloo Road to Kings Crescent: 4-5 March
There will be some changes to bus stop locations.
|Wednesday 17 March
||Huia Street between Laings Road and Myrtle Street; Huia Place
Planning a temporary road closure
Closing a road for more than 5 minutes without permission is illegal and you can be fined.
We follow a process for granting special approval to temporarily close a road to vehicles and/or pedestrians. This means you can hold your event safely under an approved TMP compliantly.
Getting a temporary road closure permit
To get a permit you'll need to:
- Let us know in writing at least 3-6 months before the event.
- Liaise with all affected residents and or businesses. Proof that you've done this will need to be presented to council by a certain date.
- Council will publicly advertise the closure to allow for objections.
- Contact a registered contractor to request a Temporary Traffic Management Plan (TMP). A TMP is required as part of the formal application to Council for a temporary road closure or event. The plan must meet the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management. TMP forms are available on the NZTA website:
- 01. TMP - full form is an empty version of the form
- 02. Guidelines for TMP – full form is a version with guidelines on what to include.