Temporary road closures or events coming up
|Saturday 15 February
||Hutt News Petone Rotary Fair
||Road Closure; Jackson Street from Victoria Street to Cuba Street; Elizabeth Street from Jackson Street northwards for 50 metres; Buick Street from Elizabeth Street to Adelaide Street and Victoria Street from Jackson Street southwards for 22 metres
|Sunday 23 February
||Bike the Trail
||Various streets from Totara Park to Lower Hutt along the River Trail finishing at McEwen Park, Marine Parade, Petone
Planning a temporary road closure
Closing a road for more than 5 minutes without permission is illegal and you can be fined.
We follow a process for granting special approval to temporarily close a road to vehicles and/or pedestrians. This means you can hold your event safely under an approved TMP compliantly.
Getting a temporary road closure permit
To get a permit you'll need to:
- Let us know in writing at least 3-6 months before the event.
- Liaise with all affected residents and or businesses. Proof that you've done this will need to be presented to council by a certain date.
- Council will publicly advertise the closure to allow for objections.
- Contact a registered contractor to request a Temporary Traffic Management Plan (TMP). A TMP is required as part of the formal application to Council for a temporary road closure or event. The plan must meet the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management. TMP forms are available on the NZTA website:
- 01. TMP - full form is an empty version of the form
- 02. Guidelines for TMP – full form is a version with guidelines on what to include.