Weekly rubbish collection
We offer a weekly kerbside collection service for household waste. You'll need to use an official Hutt City Council rubbish bag or it won’t be collected.
Setting up a new build residence or are you new to the area? Get in touch with us so we can add your property to our rubbish collection list.
You can choose to contract your own provider for rubbish collection instead. This involves rubbish bins that are collected weekly. Contact a provider in the area for pricing and collection times.
When will my rubbish be collected?
Make sure your rubbish is correctly bagged and on the kerbside by 7.30am on collection day. Collection days for the five areas are:
|Day of the week
||Eastbourne, Eastern Bays, Seaview, Gracefield, Waiwhetu, Waterloo, Epuni East, Fairfield, Moera
||Petone, Alicetown, Hutt Central, Woburn, Epuni West
||Western Hills (excluding Kelson). Includes: Korokoro, Maungaraki, Normandale, Harbour View, Tirohanga and Belmont, Hebden Crescent, Liverton Road, Haywards Hill, Belmont Domain, Manor Park, Boulcott, Avalon
||Naenae, Taita, Pomare, Stokes Valley
||Wainuiomata, Moores Valley Road, Kelson
If you're not sure what day your rubbish is collected get in touch.
Late or missed collections
Call us on 04 570 6666 after 3.00pm if your rubbish bag was not collected.
Sometimes the trucks can get held up, so your rubbish may not be collected at exactly the same time each week. Your rubbish bag may not be collected if it wasn’t on the kerbside by 7.30am.
What rubbish bags do I use?
You need to use an official Hutt City Council rubbish bag.
You can buy official rubbish bags from:
- Your local dairy or supermarket (prices may vary)
- Council's main building at 30 Laings Road, Lower Hutt
- $13.75 for a packet of five
- $27.50 for a packet of 10
- $137.50 for a packet of 50 - only available from our offices.
This price covers the cost of collection and landfill disposal.
How to safely use Council rubbish bags
- Your rubbish bag is no heavier than 15kg
- All sharp objects (eg. broken glass) are wrapped in newspaper before you put them in the rubbish bag - otherwise they could injure the rubbish collector.
- You don’t dispose of:
- Hot ashes
- Unwrapped broken glass
- Sharp objects (including twigs and branches).
Kerbside recycling is collected on the same day as the council rubbish collection service. This service is funded by targeted rates, and available to all residential houses.
Items collected as part of this service include aluminium and tin cans, glass bottles and jars, cardboard and paper, and plastics numbered 1 and 2.
Small amounts of green waste can be put into a compost bin. If you have larger quantities that you want converted into compost you can:
Whiteware and electronics
Whiteware and electronics that are in usable condition can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Earthlink: 25 Peterkin Street, Lower Hutt
- OfficeMax retailers offer TechCollect at their retail locations - this is an e-waste collection and recycling programme for certain products.
E-Waste Services in Porirua offer a door-to-door pickup service for electronics. You can request a pick up through their website or by calling 04 564 5464.
If you're replacing an item, your retailer may take back your old equipment.
Fridges and freezers
Whiteware and other equipment containing refrigerants will need to be degassed prior to recycling or disposal. Many refrigerants are powerful greenhouse gases or have ozone-depleting characteristics, and need special treatment to avoid accidental release.
To ensure your old fridge or freezer is degassed and managed responsibly, you can:
- take it to Macaulay Metals in 45 Seaview Road, or
- take it to our dedicated drop off point at the Silverstream landfill transfer station (landfill fees apply).
In addition, if you're replacing an item, your retailer may take back your old equipment and take care of its degassing.
Don’t put hazardous waste in your black rubbish bag or refuse bin. This includes:
- Motor oil
- Paints and solvents
- Medication, sharps and needles
- Garden and household chemicals
- Gas bottles
- Certain types of batteries.
Silverstream Landfill, on Reynolds Bach Drive accessed from Eastern Hutt Road in Silverstream.
Silverstream Landfill is open every day except for Christmas Day, New Year’s Day and Good Friday.
|Monday to Friday
||7.30am - 5pm
||NZ standard time
||8am - 5pm
|Daylight saving time
||8am - 6pm
|Sunday and public holidays
||NZ standard time
||9am - 5pm
|Daylight saving time
||8am - 6pm
||Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday
View our landfill costs.
Disposing of listed special waste
Special waste needs to be handled, buried, pre-treated or tested before it can be disposed of at the landfill. You need to make an application if you want to dispose of special waste.
What is listed special waste?
- Commercial products or chemicals
- Empty containers that once had hazardous substances in them
- Commercial, construction and demolition waste
- Industrial and commercial waste
- Commercially sensitive materials that require witness burials
- Dead animals
- Dust, sludge and sewage treatment plant waste
- Bulky items and loads over 10 tonnes.
How do I dispose of listed special waste?
To dispose of listed special waste you need to:
- Fill out the listed special waste disposal declaration form (PDF 244 KB)
- Let the landfill know at least 24 hours before disposal.
You can contact the landfill by phone on 04 563 6952 or fax 04 563 6038
- Give your completed form to the landfill kiosk attendant along with the relevant fee.