When will my recycling be collected?
Recycling is collected on the same day as Council rubbish bags, by Waste Management New Zealand.
Make sure your recycling is on the kerbside by 7.30am on collection day in a Council recycling bin. Please use recycling stations for large quantities of glass and cardboard that exceeds more than 1 bin per household.
|Day of the week
||Eastbourne, Eastern Bays, Epuni East, Fairfield, Gracefield, Moera, Seaview, Waiwhetu, Waterloo
||Petone, Alicetown, Hutt Central, Woburn, Epuni West
||Western Hills (excluding Kelson). Includes Korokoro, Maungaraki, Normandale, Harbour View, Tirohanga and Belmont, Hebden Crescent, Liverton Road, Haywards Hill, Belmont Domain, Manor Park, Boulcott, Avalon
||Naenae, Pomare, Stokes Valley, Taita
||Kelson, Moores Valley Road, Wainuiomata
If you're not sure what day your recycling is collected get in touch.
Late or missed collections
Call us on 04 570 6666 after 3.00pm if your recycling was not collected.
Sometimes the trucks can get held up, so your recycling may not be collected at exactly the same time each week.
Your recycling bin will not be picked up if:
What can I put in my recycling bin?
- Cans - aluminium and tin
- Plastic numbered 1 and 2 - bottles and containers
- Glass bottles and jars - not broken
- Flat cardboard and paper - envelopes, magazines, junk mail, egg cartons, and pizza boxes (you must remove pizza scraps and cheese residue).
What can't I put in my recycling bin?
Here are some of the things you can't put into your recycling bin:
- Aerosol cans
- Aluminium foil
- Anything smaller than 5 centimetres in diameter including bottle tops
- Juice cartons, tetrapak and coffee cups (they are lined with plastic)
- Plastic glasses
- Plastic numbered 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Polystyrene and expanded polystyrene
- Pumps or triggers from bottles
- Soft plastics - take this to a soft plastics collection point.
View the full list of what you can and can't recycle.
How do I pack my recycling bin?
For the best use of space, follow these three simple steps:
- Put glass loose in the bottom of your green bin.
- Bundle newspapers, cardboard and advertising mail with string, or pack them tightly so they don’t blow out.
- Wash, but don't squash plastic containers, aluminium cans, and steel cans.
Where can I get a recycling bin?
You can buy a recycling bin from Council's main building at 30 Laings Road. A 55 litre recycling bin costs $20.
Where can I buy a Flexinet?
Flexinets are no longer available.