For the latest updates on potential changes to services affected by COVID-19, please go to our COVID-19 Information Page.
When will my recycling be collected?
Recycling is collected on the same day as Council rubbish bags, by Waste Management New Zealand.
Make sure your recycling is on the kerbside by 7.30am on collection day in a Council recycling bin.
|Day of the week
||Eastbourne, Eastern Bays, Epuni East, Fairfield, Gracefield, Moera, Seaview, Waiwhetu, Waterloo
||Petone, Alicetown, Hutt Central, Woburn, Epuni West
||Western Hills (excluding Kelson). Includes Korokoro, Maungaraki, Normandale, Harbour View, Tirohanga and Belmont, Hebden Crescent, Liverton Road, Haywards Hill, Belmont Domain, Manor Park, Boulcott, Avalon
||Naenae, Pomare, Stokes Valley, Taita
||Kelson, Moores Valley Road, Wainuiomata
What can I put in my recycling bin?
- Aluminium and tin cans
- Glass bottles and jars (not broken)
- Flat cardboard and paper (envelopes, magazines, junk mail and egg cartons)
- Plastic numbered 1 and 2 (bottles and containers)
What can't I put in my recycling bin?
Here are some of the things you can't put into your recycling bin:
- Juice cartons
- Meat trays (any kind) including trays made of polystyrene and plastic 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7
- Plastic glasses
- Plastic numbered 3,4,5,6 and 7
- Soft plastics - take this to a soft plastics collection point
View the full list of what you can and can't recycle.
Recycling changes from 5 May 2019
How do I pack my recycling bin?
For the best use of space, follow these three simple steps:
- Put glass loose in the bottom of your green bin.
- Bundle newspapers, cardboard and advertising mail with string, or pack them tightly so they don’t blow out.
- Wash, but don't squash plastic containers, aluminium cans, and steel cans.
Place the heaviest items on top or use a Flexinet to stop items in your recycling bin blowing out with the wind.
Where can I get a recycling bin?
You can buy a recycling bin from Council's main building at 30 Laings Road. A 55 litre recycling bin costs $15.
Where can I buy a Flexinet?
You can buy a Flexinet from Council's main building at 30 Laings Road for $15. Flexinets fit over the top of your recycling bin to keep the recycling in when it's windy.
Where your recycling ends up
Watch this video to find out where your recycling goes, and what happens to it at the recycling plant.
Let's sort out waste
sortwaste.nz has stories about everyday people in our community who are on their waste reduction journey. Get simple tips and tricks to help you get started, or try out our quiz to test how well you're doing to sort waste.