Our community recycling stations are free to use and normally open 24 hours a day, all year round.
Where are the recycling stations?
||Wakefield Street between Rush Grove and Victoria Street
||Off State Highway 2 on Major Drive
||Naenae Hotel carpark, off Vogel Street and Everest Avenue
||Frederick Wise Park carpark next to the softball diamond, off Parkway
|Seaview - transfer station
||27 Seaview Road
What can I take to the recycling station?
Only these items can be dropped off at our recycling stations in Alicetown, Kelson, Naenae, Seaview and Wainuiomata:
- Glass bottles
- Flat Cardboard and paper
Silverstream Landfill also has a recycling centre that facilitates cardboard and paper only, they are situated at Reynolds Bach Dr, Stokes Valley, Lower Hutt 5019.
See the changes to recycling FAQs for further information.
Plastics, tin and aluminium can go into your normal kerbside recycling.
How do I use the recycling station?
When you drop off your recycling:
- Sort glass into the correct colours if coloured glass bins are available. Light blue glass goes with white glass. Dark blue glass goes with brown glass.
- Flatten cardboard to save space.
Reporting illegal dumping
If you see people illegally dumping rubbish, please report it to us with as much detail as possible including:
- The time, date and place
- What type of rubbish was dumped
- Whether it was put in the bin or beside it
- A description of the people and if a vehicle was involved - its registration, make, model and colour.
Damage to bins
If you see taggers or people damaging bins, call the Crimestoppers Hotline on 0800 555 111. Your name and details won't be taken down or used in any action resulting from your call.