Our Local Governance Statement is a collection of information about how we do our business and the ways we engage with our residents and ratepayers.
It outlines how Council makes decisions and shows how residents can influence those processes.
It also promotes local democracy by providing the pubic with information on ways they can influence local democratic processes.
The Local Governance Statement is a requirement of the Local Government Act 2002.
Read our Local Governance Statement (PDF 460 kb) which includes:
- What is a Local Governance Statement?
- Council's functions, responsibilities and activities
- Statutes pertaining to Council
- The electoral system and the opportunity to change it
- Representation arrangements and review of representation
- Elected members' roles and conduct
- Governance arrangements
- Meeting processes
- Relationships with Maori
- Management structure
- Equal employment opportunities policy
- Key approved planning and policy documents
- Public access to Council and its elected members
- Requests for official information