Our Local Governance Statement explains how we do business, and engage with our residents and ratepayers. It outlines how Council makes decisions and shows how you can influence these local democratic processes.
The Local Governance Statement is a requirement of the Local Government Act 2002.
Local Governance Statement
Read our Local Governance Statement 2019-2022 (PDF 1.4 MB)
- What is a Local Governance Statement?
- Council's functions, responsibilities and activities
- Statutes relating to Council
- The electoral system and the opportunity to change it
- Representation arrangements and review of representation
- Elected members' roles and conduct
- Governance arrangements
- Meeting processes
- Relationships with Māori
- Management structure
- Equal employment opportunities policy
- Key approved planning and policy documents
- Public access to Council and its elected members
- Requests for official information.
Appendix 1: Legislation affecting local government (PDF 2.1 MB)
Appendix 2: Policy on the functions and roles of Council, Community Boards and Community Committees (PDF 199 KB)
Appendix 3: Code of Conduct for elected members (PDF 904 KB)
Appendix 4: Committee structure (PDF 181 KB)
Appendix 5: Council Terms of Reference (PDF 399 KB)
Appendix 5A: Terms of Reference Community Boards/Committees (PDF 195 KB)
Appendix 6: Significance and Engagement Policy (PDF 266 kB)
Appendix 7: pecial consultative procedure (PDF 122 KB)
Appendix 8: Community Engagement and Consultation (PDF 291 KB)
Appendix 9: Contact Details (PDF 703 KB) - Mayor and Councillors, members of community boards and committee representatives.