Campbell Barry was elected to the Wainuiomata Community Board in 2010, and served as Wainuiomata’s ward councillor for two terms before being elected Mayor in October 2019.
He was born and raised in Lower Hutt, and attended the local primary, intermediate and high school in Wainuiomata. He lives there with his wife Laura, and is actively involved in the local community – playing club cricket and refereeing rugby.
As a Councillor, Campbell advocated for a range of issues, including the implementation of the Living Wage, ensuring effective spending of public money, and genuine engagement with local communities in decision making.
Upon being elected Mayor in 2019, Campbell said that he would lead a Council that got back to basics – investing in the assets and services that support all of Lower Hutt’s people to thrive. His priorities include improving transport in the Hutt, fronting up to the housing crisis, building infrastructure required for growth, and protecting the environment.
- Hutt City Council (Chair)
- Infrastructure and Regulatory Committee
- Climate Change and Sustainability Committee
- Communities Committee
- Policy, Finance and Strategy Committee
- Long Term Plan/Annual Plan Subcommittee (Chair)
- Audit and Risk Subcommittee (Deputy Chair)
- Chief Executive’s Employment Subcommittee (Chair)
- Code of Conduct Subcommittee (Chair)
- Wellington Water Committee
- Regional Transport Committee
- Wellington Regional Strategy Committee
- National Emergency Management Agency (Wellington region)
- Wellington Regional Amenities Fund Joint Committee
- Safe Hutt Valley Governance Group
- Manaaki Ability Trust
- Property Working Group Advancing Strategic Projects (Chair)
- Annual Plan 2020-2021 Long Term Plan 2018-2028 Amendment Working Group
- Emergency Committee (Chair)
- Zone Four Representative YEM Committee
T: 04 570 6666