Ray Wallace was first elected Lower Hutt City Mayor in October 2010, becoming the 21st person to occupy the Office of Mayor since 1891.
Mayor Wallace has extensive experience in Local Government having served in many roles at both a local and regional level.
His strong ‘sense of community’ has seen him heavily involved with numerous community organisations and projects over the past 20 years. He has served as a Justice of the Peace for 22 years.
Over the past six years Mayor Wallace has worked hard to help rejuvenate the city with major replacement of many of the old and tired community facilities around the City. Under Ray’s mayoralty we have seen the McKenzie Baths rebuilt, a new Walter Nash Centre and Community Hub in Taita, upgrading of the Hutt Recreation Grounds, Avalon and Fraser Parks.
Work on earthquake strengthening the Civic Building and Historic Town Hall and Clock Tower are underway along with a brand new state of the art Events Centre. The new Huia Pool complex, bowls facility at Naenae and a new community hub in Stokes Valley are also underway.
Mayor Wallace is proud of his Scottish heritage and as Mayor is passionate about celebrating all of Lower Hutt’s rich cultural diversity. He has worked hard to strengthen the Lower Hutt Sister City relationships with Tempe, USA (35 Years) and Minoh, Japan (21 years). He is also the National Vice President of Sister Cities New Zealand.
Our Mayor loves Lower Hutt and is committed to making it a more vibrant, exciting and inclusive place for everyone. A place where people feel safe, residents are proud to call home, businesses are keen to establish and visitors are excited to come.
Mayor Wallace lives in Wainuiomata with his wife Linda, and enjoys spending any spare time he has with family and friends.
- Community Plan Committee (Chair)
- Civic Honours Committee (Chair)
- City Development Committee (ex-officio)
- Finance and Performance Committee (ex-officio)
- Policy and Regulatory Committee (ex-officio)
- Community Services Committee (ex-officio)
- Chief Executive’s Employment Subcommittee (Chair)
- Arts and Culture Subcommittee
- Hutt Valley Services Committee
- Code of Conduct Committee (Chair)
- Cycling Steering Group
- Safe Hutt Valley Governance Group
- CBD Making Places Task Force
- Healthy Homes Working Group
- Property Working Group for Advancing Strategic Projects
- Hutt Valley Disabled Resources Trust
- Vogel Trust
- Hutt Minoh House Friendship Trust
- Wellington Water Committee (Alternate)
- Wellington Regional Strategy Committee (GWRC)
- Civil Defence Emergency Management Group (GWRC)
- Regional Transport Committee (GWRC)
- Hutt Valley Flood Management Subcommittee (GWRC)
- Wellington Regional Amenities Fund Joint Committee