Consultation on Proposed Alcohol Fees Bylaw
The Hutt City Council is considering a proposal to establish a new funding system to licence premises for the sale and supply of alcohol. The aim is to ensure the costs associated with the licensing of on-licences, off-licences, and special licences is funded from the revenue Council receives from licensing fees to align with the way the Council charges fees for other areas of our business. The proposed new funding system would be enacted through an "Alcohol Fees Bylaw".
Prior to this consultation, there was pre-consultation with the people and business affected by this proposed bylaw as required by the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act.
What is the purpose of the proposed bylaw?
The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act and Regulations enable the Council, via the creation of a Bylaw, to establish alcohol licensing fees for Lower Hutt to cover the costs incurred by Council in undertaking the licensing of alcohol related businesses as required by legislation.
What are the proposed fees?
The proposal is to cover 90% of the costs incurred by the Council to administer alcohol licensing. The remainder of costs will be subsidised via rates which is consistent with the Council’s other charges for services.
For further details view the Proposed Alcohol Fees Bylaw (PDF 60 kb)
Timeframe for development of the proposed Alcohol Fees Bylaw
1. Thursday 8 November: Letters sent out to all licensees affected advising of the pre-consultation phase and inviting feedback on the proposal.
2. Friday 14 December: Submissions on the pre-consultation phase close.
3. Friday 8 February: Hearing Subcommittee of Council heard submissions and in light of submissions received made recommendations to the Policy and Regulatory Committee.
4. Monday 29 April: Policy and Regulatory Committee meeting considered the report back on submissions received and recommended the proposed bylaw should proceed or not to Council.
5. Tuesday 21 May: Council agreed the proposed bylaw should proceed to the next stage of calling for public submissions.
6. Tuesday 28 May: Public submissions open and Public notice is given in the 28 May edition of the Hutt News.
7. Friday 28 June, 5:00pm: Public submission phase closes.
8. TBC: hearing of submissions, Hearing Subcommittee of Council to hear submissions and in light of submissions received make recommendations to the Council.
9. Tuesday September 17: The report of this Hearing Committee will go to the Council meeting who will make the decision on whether the proposed bylaw is adopted.
Summary of Proposal (PDF 24 kb)
Statement of Proposal (PDF 115 kb)
Proposed Alcohol Fees Bylaw (PDF 60 kb)
Submission Form (PDF 51 kb)