The gathering will take place at the Hutt Recreation Ground from 7pm. Hutt City Council has today also opened a book of condolence at the Council Administration Building in Laings Road for anyone wanting to express their condolences.
“We’ve all been shocked and saddened by this extraordinary act of unprecedented violence in Christchurch and we stand united in our grief. I echo others who have said these actions have no place in New Zealand,” he said.
“This gathering will give the Lower Hutt community the opportunity to come together to remember those who have died and their families, and to show support for our local Muslim community.”
The event will be live-streamed on Council's Facebook page and the Mayor’s Facebook page.
Supporting Ōtautahi Christchurch - Wednesday 20 March, 7pm
6pm – Gates Open at Hutt Recreation Ground
7pm – Event starts
- Karakia and Welcome – Kura Moeahu
- Prayer – Rev Peter Benge
- Sing together – Pōkarekare ana, led by Faultline Chorus
- Waiata – Taita College Kapa Haka Group
- Candle ceremony (accompanied by Waiata from Taita College Kapa Haka Group)
- Speaker – Br Bilal Masood
- Speaker – Sister Aseiah Mirza
- Speaker – Lower Hutt Mayor Ray Wallace
- Reading of the names of those who lost their lives
- Sing together – National Anthem of New Zealand
- Closing Karakia – Kura Moeahu
- Opportunity for the public to lay items of remembrance (accompanied by Faultline Chorus)
- People will be able to enter the Hutt Recreation Ground from any of the three usual entry points – Myrtle St, Woburn Rd and Bellevue Rd.
- For people travelling to and from the event at the Hutt Recreation Ground, Metlink buses will be free between 6pm and 9pm.
- Where possible we encourage people to take public transport and/or walk. There is some free public parking in the streets around the Hutt Recreation Ground. Free parking will also be available at Sacred Heart College and the Hutt Bowling Club.
- Members of the public are welcome to bring items of remembrance (including candles in appropriate containers), and there will be an opportunity for people to lay these in a communal area towards the end of the event.
- Children are welcome.
- Please leave pets at home.
- People are welcome to bring chairs and picnic rugs.
- Toilets will be available under the Hutt Recreation Ground stand.
- The forecast is currently for a fine day and evening.
- There will be a significant police presence at the event and additional security.
Updated: 20 March 2019