Proposed District Plan Change 43 reviews the General Residential Activity Area provisions and proposes the introduction of two new activity areas, providing for medium density residential development and suburban mixed use in targeted areas. The plan change also proposes the introduction of a new Medium Density Design Guide and several consequential changes to related chapters of the District Plan.
The purpose of the proposed plan change is to provide for greater housing capacity and a wider range of options for housing styles and sizes at medium densities within the existing urban area. This could include low-rise apartments and terraced houses in areas that have good access to public transport, shopping, parks and schools, but also minor additional dwellings on smaller sites that do not have the potential for traditional infill.
Two new activity areas
The proposed changes include two new activity areas in and around nine suburban centres. These centres have been selected for their proximity to public transport, schools, recreation areas and shops.
- A new Suburban Mixed Use Activity Area would introduce a building height standard of 10 metres (three storeys), accommodating shops and cafes on the ground floor, with apartments or offices above. This compares with the current Suburban Commercial zone’s permitted eight-metre (two-storey) height standard
- A new Medium Density Residential Activity Area would be located next to the proposed Suburban Mixed Use Activity Area. It would allow for residential buildings of up to 10 metres (three storeys), while restricting building height closer to the rear and side boundaries with recession planes and boundary setbacks. This compares to the current permitted height standard of eight metres (two storeys) in General Residential. This new activity area would allow for up to 60 per cent site coverage
- These two new zones would be located in nine targeted areas:
View City-wide & all Proposed Targeted Areas Maps PDF (5.7Mb) as shown above.
General Residential Activity Area provisions
- The plan change also reviews the existing provisions for the General Residential Activity Area. It proposes the introduction of Comprehensive Residential Development, providing for medium density housing on sites larger than 1400m2 in the General Residential Activity Area.
Within those sites, there would be the potential for terraced and clustered houses, shared parking and outdoor living areas. Buildings could be up to 10 metres high and cover up to 60% of the site, while restricting building height in relation to the rear and side boundaries with recession planes and boundary setbacks to protect neighbouring properties
- Council’s proposals are also more enabling of traditional infill in the General Residential Activity Area, allowing for two dwellings per site. There would be no minimum site size; however building density would be controlled by standards for outdoor living space and yards
Minor dwellings, like tiny houses and granny flats, could be added to relatively small sites that would not be large enough for traditional infill
- The proposed plan change also seeks to delete the existing Medium Density Overlay that applies to parts of the General Residential Activity Area.
Medium Density Design Guide
More intensive developments requiring resource consent would need to adhere to a new Medium Density Design Guide, which promotes high quality building designs, and addresses issues such as shade and privacy effects and onsite storm water management.
The proposed plan change also seeks amendments to Chapter 3 Definitions, Chapter 11 Subdivision and the planning maps.
Consequential changes are required for the following chapters:
- Chapter 1 Introduction and Scope of the Plan
- Chapter 4 Residential
- Chapter 5 Commercial
- Chapter 7A General Recreation Activity Area
- Chapter 8A Rural Residential Activity Area
- Chapter 8B General Rural Activity Area
- Chapter 13 Network Utilities
- Chapter 14A Transport
- Chapter 14C Noise
- Chapter 14D Natural Hazards
Further consequential amendments to Chapters 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5D(ii), 7A, 8A, 8B, 11 and 17 do not propose any actual changes to the content of the chapters.
Plan Change Document
Proposed Plan Change 43 Volume 1 (PDF 16.5 Mb)
Proposed Plan Change 43 Volume 2 (PDF 20.3 Mb)
Proposed Plan Change 43 - Split Version (use this link if you want to view and download the document in sections)
A hearing of submissions on the proposed plan change will commence Monday 2 September 2019, 9:00am at the Upstairs Meeting Room, Lower Hutt Events Centre, Laings Road, Lower Hutt.
Hearing Panel Minute 1 - Hearing timetable and procedures (PDF 159 kb)
Memorandum to submitters from the Friend of Submitters - 6 June 2019 (PDF 60 kb)
Hearing Panel Minute 2 - Change of hearing date and venue (PDF 69 kb)
Memorandum to submitters from the Friend of Submitters - 2 July 2019 (PDF 92 KB)
Officer's Report, including appendices (PDF 13.5 Mb)
Officer's Report, excluding appendices (PDF 1.94 Mb)
Appendix 1 - Recommended changes and associated s32AA evaluation (PDF 698 kb)
Appendix 2 - Decisions requested by submitters, with officer's recommendations (PDF 1.2 Mb)
Appendix 3 - Amended Medium Density Design Guide (PDF 2.4 Mb)
Appendix 4 - Urban design evidence, including graphic supplement - David Compton-Moen (PDF 2.8 Mb)
Appendix 5 - Three waters infrastructure - Wellington Water (PDF 925 kb)
Appendix 6 - Transport evidence - Harriet Fraser (PDF 287 kb)
Appendix 7 - Alicetown character assessment - Michael Kelly and Russell Murray (PDF 3.6 Mb)
Appendix 8 - Legal advice on scope of submissions - DLA Piper (PDF 346 kb)
Additional Material Provided by Submitters
Additional material from Lucy Harper of GWRC (PDF 477 kb)
Additional material from Sharyn Westlake of GWRC (PDF 1.3 Mb)
Additional material from Housing New Zealand (PDF 191 kb)
Additional material from Fire and Emergency NZ (PDF 62 kb)
Additional material from Z Energy Ltd and BP Oil Ltd (PDF 834 kb)
Additional material from Powerco Ltd (PDF 164 kb)
Additional material from Summerset Villages (Lower Hutt) Ltd (PDF 68 kb)
Additional material from AT Better Planning Ltd - File 1 of 4 (PDF 1 Mb)
Additional material from AT Better Planning Ltd - File 2 of 4 (PDF 1.7 Mb)
Additional material from AT Better Planning Ltd - File 3 of 4 (PDF 29.4 Mb)
Additional material from AT Better Planning Ltd - File 4 of 4 (PDF 14.4 Mb)
Additional material from P2040 - File 1 of 2 (PDF 1.2 Mb)
Additional material from P2040 - File 2 of 2 (PDF 63 Mb)
Additional material from Pam Butler for KiwiRail (PDF 57 kb)
Additional material from Tom Loades for KiwiRail (PDF 35 kb)
Additional material from Chris Hay (PDF 98 kb)
Additional material from Progressive Enterprises (PDF 308 kb)
Officer's rebuttal to expert evidence from submitters (PDF 308 kb)
Response to statements of evidence of Lucy Harper and Sharyn Westlake of GWRC (PDF 498 kb)
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the proposed plan change, contact us.
Key steps, dates and related documents