What’s this project about?
The completion of the Wainuiomata Hill Shared Path is a key project in providing a safe and integrated network for commuting and recreational purposes under the current strategy, Walk and Cycle the Hutt 2014 – 2019.
The aim of the project is to provide a consistent, connected and safe shared path between the wider Hutt Valley and Wainuiomata for pedestrians and cyclists. In its present state the steep and winding 80kph road has no safe facility for cyclists and pedestrians.
The completion of the Pukeatua Bridge in 2015 was phase one of the project with the shared path being the second phase. This is split into two stages:
- Stage 1 - Gracefield to the Pukeatua Bridge
- Stage 2 - Pukeatua Bridge to Wainuiomata
The key features of the shared path are:
- A 4m wide off road sealed path for pedestrians and cyclists
- New roadside barriers to provide safe separation between the shared path and the traffic lanes
- Upgraded LED street lighting
The new shared path will form part of a wider strategic network with future linkages to the Beltway Cycleway, the Eastern Bay Shared Path and the CBD planned.
How the community benefits from the Shared Path Project
The Shared Path Project will provide:
- a safe environment for pedestrians and cyclists on a high speed road
- improved sight distance for road users
- a reduction of injuries
- attractive facilities for new users
- improved connectivity between the wider Hutt Valley and Wainuiomata
- increased modal choice
- improved access to existing mountain bike trails and walkways.
Where are we at?
The design document for Stage 1 is complete. Council has tendered Stage 1 and identified a preferred contractor. We're currently working through some additional design details with the contractor and are very close to beginning construction work onsite.
The design for Stage 2 is almost complete, with a few final details required before we apply for the consent. The topography of this stage is a complex design challenge: retaining walls will underpin a considerable stretch of the 4m shared path in this section.
The links below show some plans and cross-sections of the shared path.
The current project timeline* is:
|Construction of Stage 1
(Gracefield to Pukeatua Bridge)
|Anticipated start date
|Construction of Stage 2
(Pukeatua Bridge to Wainuiomata)
|Anticipated start date
* Timeline is subject to change
How can you find out more?
Want to know more? Take a look at our FAQ page.
If you can't make a drop-in session and would like to know more, please contact:
Senior Project Engineer
T: 04 570 6666