Honiana Te Puni Reserve is at the northernmost point of Te Whanganui a Tara Wellington Harbour, at the Western end of Pito-One. In future it will be the northern gateway to the Ngā Ūranga ki Pito-One section of Te Ara Tupua.
The reserve is named after Honiana Te Puni, a Te Atiawa rangatira who signed Te Tiriti o Waitangi in 1840. In the 19th century, Honiana Te Puni Reserve was part of the broader area of Pito-One Pā and Te Tatau o te Pō Pā, with urupā (burial grounds) and gardens nearby.
The reserve land was returned to Taranaki Whānui ki te Upoko o te Ika (Port Nicholson Block Settlement Trust) as part of their Treaty settlement.
Planning for Te Ara Tupua has reinvigorated conversations about the long-term future for Honiana Te Puni Reserve. These conversations have been led by Te Ara Tupua Mana Whenua Steering Group, and a plan and vision have been developed jointly by Taranaki Whānui, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (NZTA), and Hutt City Council.
Find out more about Honiana Te Puni Reserve project on the Waka Kotahi website.