The new Hub will be built on the current site of the Naenae Community hall - north of Naenae Pool in Everest Avenue.
Services which have previously used the hall have been supported to move to a different location. Once the work programme has been confirmed, we’ll work with community hall users to find suitable options.
Council aims to meet the Naenae community’s needs. We want to provide a community hub with a balanced mix of spaces and experiences which will attract and welcome the whole community. The Naenae Hub will reflect the local community, resonate with Naenae’s history and connect with local Māori history.
In November 2017, 1000 people responded to a community consultation (PDF 350KB) about what they wanted for the Naenae Community Hub.
93.9% of participants said yes to a Community Hub development in Naenae. Download the result summary infographic (PDF 226KB) for more information.
The top answers included:
- Sport, recreation and health
- Library services
- Adult learning services (driver training, career advice, transition into work, immigrant support)
- Youth services
- Multi-use spaces
- General hang out/meeting areas
- Performance spaces (for kapa haka or dance).
A design brief has been created which responds to feedback from the community consultation. It includes key requirements from Council on service delivery and design philosophies.
The brief includes:
- A large space for sports/activities, concerts and cultural activities and large conferences
- Medium sized spaces with hard and soft floor surfaces for recreation, classes, small events and other community activities
- Smaller spaces for community meetings (e.g. Plunket groups)
- Naenae Library
- Naenae Clubhouse
||Nov 2017 – Feb 2018 (completed)
|Council approval for funding (brought forward)
||June 2018 (completed)
||Winter - Summer 2018
||Summer - Spring 2019
||Spring 2019 - Spring 2020
|Fit Out and Public Opening
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We've put together some FAQs on the Naenae Hub based on some of the things we've been asked.
For more information about the Naenae Hub development, please contact Mike Mercer - Divisional Manager, Community Hubs