What is the purpose of the proposed bylaw?
The purpose of this proposed bylaw is to promote and protect public health by requiring those people and premises providing services of:
- beauty enhancement therapy treatments which includes nails and waxing,
- skin and body piercing, and
to comply with minimum standards around sterilisation and hygiene which reduce the risk of injury, transference of communicable diseases such as Hepatitis B and C, HIV/Aids, viral, bacterial or fungal skin or wound infections.
The focus of the proposed bylaw is the creation of a licensing process to assess the type of service(s) being provided and then determine if the service is being provided according to the relevant public health standards.
What are the proposed fees?
There are three costs likely to be charged if the bylaw progresses:
- An annual registration fee will be in the vicinity of $240, which is comparable to fees charged by other councils. The registration fee will cover administration costs, maintaining a database of businesses and an annual inspection by our environmental health staff of up to one hour (including travel time). For businesses with ‘dual registration’ i.e. a hair and nail salon, the annual registration fee will be in the vicinity of $320. The registration fee will cover administration costs, including maintaining a database of businesses and an annual inspection by our environmental health staff of up to one and a half hours (including travel time).
- Annual inspections by our environmental health staff that take more than the above times will be charged an hourly rate which will be around $160 per hour.
- Investigations of justified complaints may also incur a fee based on the above hourly rate.
Proposed timeframe for development of the proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw
||Letters sent out to known affected businesses advising of the pre-consultation phase and inviting feedback on the proposal.
||Submissions on the pre-consultation phase close.
||Results of pre-consultation presented to the Hutt Valley Services Committee meeting. Also presented will be the proposed bylaw for approval and a recommendation to both Hutt City Council and Upper Hutt City Council to proceed with joint or separate bylaws.
||Special consultative procedure concerning the proposed bylaw starts.
||Special consultative procedure concerning the proposed bylaw closes.
||Hear submissions to proposed bylaw and resulting recommendations considered by a hearings subcommittee.
We welcome your input
Council now invites you to submit feedback on this proposal. We've sent letters to all known appearance businesses. If you know of other people or businesses who you think would want to be involved please feel free to pass this information onto them as we are interested to hear from anyone with an interest in the proposal.
View the Pre-consultation on Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw Letter (PDF 343.4 kb)
We encourage you to lodge your feedback using the Pre-Consultation Submission Form: Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw (Word, DOCX 35.8 kb) or PDF
Email your submission form to: email@example.com
Alternatively, you can return the submission form by post to Hutt City Council, Private Bag 31912, Lower Hutt 5040.
We've created the Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw FAQ page (PDF 223 kb) which we hope will answer any questions you may have. If you have specific questions about this matter not covered by this page, please feel free to reply, ideally using the submission form, or phone Olivia Miller on 04 570 6966.
Pre-consultation on Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw Letter (PDF 343.4 kb)
Pre-Consultation Submission Form: Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw (PDF 170.5 kb)
Pre-Consultation Submission Form: Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw (Word, DOCX 35.8 kb)
Proposed Appearance Industry Bylaw Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 223 kb)