Certificate for Public Use

If you want to use part of a new public building before it has a Code Compliance Certificate, you will need to apply for a Certificate for Public Use.

Before you make an application

You can apply for a Certificate for Public Use when:

  • you intend to occupy all or part of a building open to or used by members of the public
  • the area intended to be occupied remains affected by the building work
  • a building consent for building work has been granted since 31 March 2005 but no code compliance certificate has been issued

It will cost you $230.00 if we receive the application with a building consent application and $300.00 if received independently.

Please check out the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website for background information.

Make an application

When you are ready to make an application, you need to provide us with the following:

Find out more

Do It Here
Pay It
Pay It
Online Payments
Find It
Find It
Get Information
Report It
Report It
Notify us about Issues
Say It
Say It
Give Feedback
Submit It
Submit It
Lodge an application
Join It
Join It
Sign up to services
Contact Us
Get in touch
531 High Street, Lower Hutt
Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
Private Bag 31 912, Lower Hutt 5040
+64 4 570 6666 | 0800 HUTT CITY