Large scale events can bring significant economic and social benefits to our city. Applications can be made at any stage of our financial year (July to June).
Funding criteria and priorities – what we’re looking for
Find out if your major event fits our criteria and priorities for funding.
What are our priorities?
We look to support major events that do the following:
- Bring economic benefit and visitors to the region
- Encourage uniqueness
- Raise Hutt City’s profile and create media opportunities
- Prove to be viable
- Bring community, social and cultural benefits
Who is eligible to apply for major events funding?
We encourage and invite applications from organisations and businesses that meet the following criteria:
- Are either an incorporated society, a trust or association, or a business recognised under the Companies Act 1993 (a certificate or documentation of proof will need to be provided)
- Are holding the event in a local public place, or bringing significant benefit to Hutt City businesses
- Are running an event that makes a positive contribution to achieving our community outcomes as listed in the current Long Term Council Community Plan (LTCCP)
Funding will be granted for one year only. Please indicate if you intend to apply for more than one year.
Applications are generally limited to a maximum of one third of the total event budget.
What are our assessment criteria?
When we’re assessing your application we’ll look at:
- Economic benefit and visitation: the degree to which the event or activity provides measurable economic benefit to Hutt City through visitor spend (regional, national and international) and/or through building capability for a sector of the local economy
- Uniqueness: the degree to which the event is unique to Hutt City
- Profile – media opportunities: the extent to which the event provides an opportunity to raise positive awareness of, or increase the profile of, Hutt City and the council. We will look at your marketing plan to attract people to the event
- Timing of event: when the event is to be held during the calendar year, i.e. during off-peak or high peak periods (January–March) of events within the City and region
- Viability of event/other funding support: the degree to which the event is financially viable and sustainable with or without council funding. This includes examining a comprehensive budget for your event
- Community, social and cultural benefits: the degree of consistency with council outcomes in the Long Term Council Community Plan (LTCCP) and other relevant council policies and strategies
- Risk profile: the expertise and capability of the event organiser to manage the event and its associated risks (e.g. weather, health and safety, financial, organisational) and realise the event objectives
The purpose of the funding – what we will and won’t fund
What types of projects/activities will we fund?
There are several types of assistance available:
- Financial support – cash grants
Financial support by way of providing a cash grant, conditional on agreed performance criteria to be met by the event organiser
- Bid support
Financial and practical support for major events. This may include feasibility studies; production of bid documents and presentations
- Promotional support
Supporting events through promotion via Hutt City Council’s own marketing campaigns and liaison with Positively Wellington Tourism and other agencies
What types of projects/activities won’t we fund?
We won't fund:
- Applications from past funding recipients who have outstanding debts to us or who have not fully met previous funding requirements
- Events of primarily a political or religious nature (although some in-kind support may be available for these)
- Administration costs and fundraising costs
- Events that have already occurred or will occur prior to notification of the outcome to the application
- Retrospective costs
Make an application
Before you consider applying for the major events fund please discuss your application with us.
For further information on major events funding, please phone or email the Recreation and Event Manager on 04 560 0302 or email@example.com.