This means no fires are to be lit in rural areas without a rural fire permit.
Angie Rodger, Senior Emergency Management Advisor, says people who live rurally, or in urban areas near rural properties, can minimise the risk of fire by:
• Keeping areas around your home clear from flammable vegetation.
• Clearing roof guttering of dead leaves and pine needles.
• Removing leaf clutter, and dead and overhanging branches.
• Keeping lawns mowed regularly – get rid of cuttings, trimmings and debris quickly.
• Storing firewood away from your home.
• Being mindful of sparks from machinery.