Weather experts are predicting a dry summer. We'll also have less stored water available while one of Greater Wellington's storage lakes is upgraded.
In Hutt City watering restrictions apply during daylight saving which means they are in place now.
You may use one garden watering system or sprinkler from 6- 8am and 7-9pm only at:
- Even-numbered houses on even days e.g: 2nd, 4th etc.
- Odd-numbered houses on odd days e.g: 1st, 3rd etc.
Hand watering by hose or watering can is permitted at any time.
It's easy to use a bit less water around the home:
- Turn the tap off while you brush your teeth or shave. A running tap wastes up to 6 litres a minute.
- Put a 1 or 2 litre bottle of water in your single flush toilet cistern. Save up to 30 litres a day.
- Fix leaking taps and toilet cisterns. A constant drip can waste up to 100 litres a day.
- Use a trigger nozzle on your hose. Save 10-12 litres a minute.
- Use mulch. It slows moisture loss by up to 70 per cent.
- Sweep paths and patios instead of hosing them.
- Water gardens in the morning or evening when it's cooler as less water is wasted through evaporation.