When will my recycling be collected?
Recycling is collected on the same day as Council rubbish bags, by Waste Management New Zealand.
Make sure your recycling is on the kerbside by 7.30am on collection day in a Council recycling bin.
|Day of the week
||Eastbourne, Eastern Bays, Epuni East, Fairfield, Gracefield, Moera, Seaview, Waiwhetu, Waterloo
||Petone, Alicetown, Hutt Central, Woburn, Epuni West
||Western Hills (excluding Kelson). Includes Korokoro, Maungaraki, Normandale, Harbour View, Tirohanga and Belmont, Hebden Crescent, Liverton Road, Haywards Hill, Belmont Domain, Manor Park, Boulcott, Avalon
||Naenae, Pomare, Stokes Valley, Taita
||Kelson, Moores Valley Road, Wainuiomata
If you're not sure what day your recycling is collected get in touch.
Late or missed collections
Call us on 04 570 6666 after 3.00pm if your recycling was not collected.
Sometimes the trucks can get held up, so your recycling may not be collected at exactly the same time each week.
Your recycling bin will not be picked up if:
What can I put in my recycling bin?
- Aluminium and tin cans
- Glass bottles and jars (not broken)
- Flat cardboard and paper (envelopes, magazines, junk mail and egg cartons)
- Plastic numbered 1 and 2 (bottles and containers)
What can't I put in my recycling bin?
Here are some of the things you can't put into your recycling bin:
View the full list of what you can and can't recycle.
Recycling changes from 5 May 2019
- Only plastics numbered 1 and 2 are accepted along with your usual recycling.
- Plastics 3,4,5,6 and 7 go into your general waste.
- Our recycling stations are now only accepting glass, flat paper and flattened cardboard.
How do I pack my recycling bin?
For the best use of space, follow these three simple steps:
- Put glass loose in the bottom of your green bin.
- Bundle newspapers, cardboard and advertising mail with string, or pack them tightly so they don’t blow out.
- Wash, but don't squash plastic containers, aluminium cans, and steel cans.
Place the heaviest items on top or use a Flexinet to stop items in your recycling bin blowing out with the wind.
Where can I get a recycling bin?
You can buy a recycling bin from Council's main building at 30 Laings Road. A 55 litre recycling bin costs $20.
Where can I buy a Flexinet?
You can buy a Flexinet from Council's main building at 30 Laings Road for $15. Flexinets fit over the top of your recycling bin to keep the recycling in when it's windy.