Find out what the rules are around building over Council pipes.
Rules for building on Council wastewater and/or stormwater pipes
We don't recommend building projects that go over, or reroute, wastewater and storm water pipes. The general rule is that you should build a minimum of 1.5m from council pipes so we can access them when we need to.
The ability to build over or alongside a public drain is considered on a case-by-case basis, upon application.
If you're considering undertaking works that require building over or alongside existing drinking water, wastewater or stormwater services then contact the Wellington Water Land Development Team via email at email@example.com, as early as possible to discuss options and expectations.
Who you need approval from
- If you want to build over a water pipeline, contact utility Wellington Water.
- If you want to build over a gas line, contact your mains supplier.
- Council has the discretion to allow such work, but equally it has the right to say no if a building would compromise its ability to repair or replace any pipeline
For more information
Building Over Pipelines information sheet (PDF 181 kb)
- Telephone: +64 04 570 6666 | 0800 488 824
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org