Overweight and over dimensional vehicles

You may need to get special permission to drive a large vehicle on our roads.

Over weight vehicles

The Vehicle Dimensions and Mass (VDAM) Rule 2016 specifies the legal weights and axle loads. If your vehicle exceeds these load limits, you will need to apply for an overweight permit before you travel on our roads.

Travel is restricted to the approved overweight routes. View the overweight routes map (PDF 342KB)

To use our roads, please complete the overweight permit application form (DOCX 33KB) for a single/multiple trip or continuous permit on our permitted road route. Continuous permits for travel on Hutt City roads are issued for a period of up to 12 months maximum.

Send your completed form to overweightpermits@huttcity.govt.nz. We will respond to your application within 5 working days.

If you're planning to use State Highway 2 along with our local roads, you'll need a permit from NZTA before you can apply to us.

An over dimensional (or oversized) vehicle or load exceeds one or more of the maximum dimensions allowed for standard vehicles, as specified in the VDAM Rule 2016. If your vehicle exceeds any of these dimensions, you will need to apply for an over dimensional permit before you travel on our roads.

Get an over dimension permit from the Over Dimension Permit Issuing Agency by calling 0800 OVERSIZE (0800 683 774).

Once you have a permit, you will need to contact us at overweight.permits@huttcity.govt.nz to discuss the local route you intend to use, to confirm it's suitable for your vehicle and load.