Find out how to get free advice on making your house warm, dry, healthy and energy efficient. It can save you money too.
Free Eco Design advice available
You can book an appointment with our Hutt City Eco Design Advisor.
Once we confirm a day and a time, you'll get a two-hour consultation at your place or at Hutt City Council, where we'll talk you through:
- creating a warm and comfortable home
- draughts and how to fix them
- if solar power will be beneficial for you
- heating options
- ventilation and ventilation systems
- council sustainability initiatives
- insulation advice
- moisture and mould
- windows and what to do with them
- hot water systems
- energy efficiency for new and existing homes.
Request an appointment
To book an appointment with our Eco Design Advisor:
- use our online booking calendar below
- email email@example.com
- or call us on 04 570 6666.
Get free eco-design information
Read our eco-design information sheets – and make your home warm, dry, healthy and energy efficient:
- Building materials: Find out about ways to identify and avoid using harmful building materials, such as toxic solvents, chemicals and glues (PDF 256 kb)
- Insulation: Find out how it works, insulation options and costs, how to choose the best insulation for your house, and the government subsidies available. (PDF 290 kb)
- Mould: Find out about ways to combat mould and keep your home warm and dry (PDF 233 kb)
- Passive solar design: Find out how to harness and store the sun’s energy for release overnight (PDF 263 kb)
- Windows and curtains: Find out how to position windows and use double-glazing and curtains to hold in free heat and reduce your power bills (PDF 202 kb)
Healthy homes standards
The healthy homes standards introduce specific and minimum standards for heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture and drainage, and draught stopping in rental properties.
- All private rentals must comply within 90 days of any new or renewed tenancy after 1 July 2021, with all private rentals complying by 1 July 2024.
- All boarding houses must comply by 1 July 2021.
- All houses rented by Kāinga Ora (formerly Housing New Zealand) and registered Community Housing Providers must comply by 1 July 2023.
- Many property managers arrange assessment for the requirements of the Healthy Housing Standard. HomeFit certification from the New Zealand Green Building Council will determine if a home meets the Healthy Housing Standard - but is also recommended for owner occupied homes. Even if considering HomeFit assessment, a personal visit by our Eco Design Advisor is strongly recommended for their experience and knowledge.
Subsidies and help available
There are subsidies and help available for getting your home warmer and drier.
- Warmer kiwi homes subsidies are available for insulation and heating. Eligibility for these subsidies is for homeowners with a Community Services Card - but can be by area. Check with EECA Warmer Kiwi Homes to see if you are eligible and apply online.
- The Curtain Bank can provide free curtains to Community Services Card holders for your home. Visit the Curtain Bank website to apply.