Seismic performance register

Find out about how we manage Hutt City buildings to make sure people are safe to enter them and live and work in them.

About the Seismic Performance Register

As a Council, we're subject to the same building legislation we're tasked with implementing in our community. This means we're responsible for buildings and other assets like bridges and roads across Hutt City.

Our role as custodians of public buildings is to manage our buildings so that Hutt City residents are safe in and around them.

Council's responsibilities

To reassure our community, we have a programme of work in place to assess all our buildings and assets. We regularly commission building assessments and engineering reports on our buildings. When carrying these out, we incorporate any work identified as part of our annual general programme of maintenance.

The types of assessments we carry out are either:

  • an Initial Seismic Assessment (ISA), or
  • a Detailed Seismic Assessment (DSA).

The results of these inform the next steps we need to take - like if we need to strengthen or modify buildings. Council officers provide advice to Council when significant budget might be needed for planned building work.

When we close earthquake-prone buildings

If an earthquake-prone building receives a DSA or other engineering report confirming a rating of below 34% NBS we’ll consider closing it.

When we do this, we consider factors like risk to life, occupancy and the nature of the risks outlined in the DSA. The decision to close a building is made by the Chief Executive with a recommendation from a General Manager.