Multi-residential, industrial, or commercial buildings

Get in touch with us to find out about the special building consent requirements for multi-unit residential, industrial and commercial buildings.

If you're the owner of residential, industrial and commercial buildings, it's important that you understand the consent process.

Most multi-residential, industrial or commercial buildings have additional requirements to make sure they're safe to use or live in once the building work is done.

You should:

  • work with an experienced professional (i.e. architect or draftsperson) on design work, drawings, specifications and documentation.
  • understand the process of applying for a building consent.
  • find out if you also need a resource consent.
  • find out early in your project if a pre-application meeting will help you plan your project.

Note: Council must send some types of building consent applications to Fire and Emergency New Zealand for its advice. (see below)

Pre-application meetings

Booking a pre-application meeting and we'll let you know about the consents you might need and advise you on the next steps.

Book a pre-application meeting